Winterizing Run

If you have the money, you might want to consider this -

https://www.tarpsnow.com/clear-vinyl-tarps-30-mil-pvc.html

i bought one for the omlet run (2 meters)....i want to keep this small area free from snow and cold winds (i will not bother shoveling out the much bigger run they have)

this seems REALLY durable....and is very clear....
Looks interesting and I see they have a 20 mil clear tarp too that's a bit less expensive but sounds almost as durable as the 30 mil. Thank you!! Could probably do just the side that faces toward the house for that matter. Things to consider.......

I used some clear 6 or 8 mil plastic sheet fastened to some 1x2 frames so easy to put on and take off.

JT
How do you do that without it eventually degrading the wood structure of the run itself by being removed and reinstalled every year?
I'm looking into greenhouse channel and wire-lock which can be permanently fastened allowing just the poly to be changed out yearly. However, I am admittedly often of the 'just throw money' mindset...

Attachments

• channel-wire-locks-600x600.jpg
    channel-wire-locks-600x600.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 23
I use the same screw holes... not sure exactly what you mean as the wood is pressure treated.

JT
I feel like I'd have trouble getting the screws into the same holes every year and then the holes eventually getting worn out and mushy. Maybe it's not an issue. 1x2 furring strips would certainly be cheaper

Chickenthyme:Would be nice to know where you are located? We do not have a big problem with freezing temps, yes we get some, but wind, rain, and a little snow is what we try and keep out of our run. I have been using clear shower curtains as they are cheap. I add some duct tape for reinforcement in the corners and then grommets. We only cover 2 sides of the run as the prevailing wind comes from those directions driving the rain. The need to be able to see thru the plastic is a non issue for us.

IMG_1284.JPG

I feel like I'd have trouble getting the screws into the same holes every year and then the holes eventually getting worn out and mushy. Maybe it's not an issue. 1x2 furring strips would certainly be cheaper

Ah I see, I use screws with a smooth part and put one all the way out so I can see the hole and send it part way in then repeat on a second hole then the rest just go in.

JT

Back
Top Bottom