1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winterizing the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SunnysideupstateNY, Dec 5, 2011.

1. SunnysideupstateNY

SunnysideupstateNY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Hello!

This is my second winter with the girls. I have an A frame coop which includes the run so most of the coop is fencing. Last year I cut shower curtains to fit over the wire but would prefer not to do that again. Does anyone have any other cheap ideas? My biggest dilemma is how to attach the material as the only available surface is the wire itself and some of the exposed frame.

Thanks!

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You can buy clear vinyl "cloth" at most fabric stores. Secure it in place with furring strips screwed on to the existing frame. Allows the sun in, but keeps rain/snow out.

1 person likes this.
  3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    You could also possibly use grommets with string/twine/rope. Duct tape isn't the best in freezing weather and can leave a sticky residue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by