Winterizing the flock

karagenknight

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 26, 2014
Akron, OH
I know I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but we have 6 chickens outside in their coop and while they seem to be doing better in the cold then i am tomorrow is supposed to be pretty brutal. High of 2 low of -15 before windchill besides rubbing vaseline on their combs(was not fun yesterday is not going to be fun tonight) is there anything else i should do for my girls? Also how often should i reapply the vaseline? i did it once yesterday but by this morning it looked like it was gone not sure if they rubbed it off or if there was still enough to protect them. Please help my poor girls!

PS: if it helps i got my chickies from a local hatchery and they are winter hardy breeds
PPS: My girls are about 18 weeks old and not laying yet.

Last edited:
I' am worried about mine.I did add some heat in my coops at night.Even though it is not advised to do so.I could see my girls were cold this morning.they all ate and than went and sat down in the straw.

I didn't put any heat lamps just the tank deicer for their water (those rotten girls unplugged it twice had to tape it) they have been coming out and standing in their run and only their feet seem to be cold. They also all sleep piled together on the roost that's just under the top vents but i worry ya know.

I live in tn and we are down to -2 but the wind chills are -20 tonight should I put up a wind barrier ie tarp around the run for tomorrow? Or if they get cold will they go up to the coop that's not drafty but has good ventilation. Only had them for a month and they are isa Browns 8 months old and have been great so far we just had an ice storm they seem to be good, any advice I need to know they have a water heater too

I "tarped" off part of my run. its beneath the coop and is about 4 by 8, i tarped off one 8 foot side with an old tent, blocked one of the 4 foot sides and then a bit of the other 8 foot side. The bottom of the coop is open into the run and i wanted to make sure there wasn't too much wind getting in. My girls all stand at the open end and look at me like I'm mad but it helps keep most of the snow out so thats nice. I dont have a pic of the whole coop but heres my girls

Supposed to be 0 tonight with negative wind chill. My son and I gathered all of the birds up and put them in their house, Some usually sleep in a seperate nesting box or outside. 58 chickens should stay warm in a 12x10 room.

Back
Top Bottom