Winterproofing my coop

MaidMariHen

Chirping
May 14, 2020
It's starting to get cold, today it snowed for the first time. We have 5 chickens and a small heating pad we're planning on putting in, is there anything else we should do?

It's starting to get cold, today it snowed for the first time. We have 5 chickens and a small heating pad we're planning on putting in, is there anything else we should do?

Where are you located. You can go back to your profile and put in the state or country you live in. Help us help you. Do you have good ventilation in your coop. Dry chickens are warm chickens.

Where are you located?
I'm in Wisconsin and winterized the run and put a water heating plate in the coop.
Where are you located. You can go back to your profile and put in the state or country you live in. Help us help you. Do you have good ventilation in your coop. Dry chickens are warm chickens.
I live in southern Ontario, Canada. We have good ventilation, and we're going to be fixing any drafts and leaks we can find in the next week

I live in southern Ontario, Canada. We have good ventilation, and we're going to be fixing any drafts and leaks we can find in the next week
I put up plastic corrugated sheets around my run so that most snow doesn't get into the run (I still have to shovel snow into the run for them to eat... the bossy chickens complain if I don't).

That's great! I used twin wall plastic panels for my run and coop windows in a way to block drafts but allow for ventilation.

Attachments

• PXL_20201025_210758504.jpg
    PXL_20201025_210758504.jpg
    694.3 KB · Views: 9
So when it gets real cold watch for frost on your walls. If you see it you don't have enough ventilation. Some people think they have enough but don't really. Let Mother Nature help you. And I keep a plastic gallon jug ( Arizona Ice Tea) and if it's frozen in the morning I know it was cold. In the coldest winter it only skimmed over twice. Pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom