Wire Cages...

Poulets De Cajun

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Houston MetroMess, Texas
Does anyone build their own wire cages? I have the wire part down and can build a cage using "J" clips, but I am wondering how you make the aluminum trays that slide underneath.

Where do you get the aluminum sheeting? And how do you bend it along a straight line?

The only think I can think of is aluminum flashing that comes in rolls from Home Depot.

I am wanting to build some stackable cages like this, but need to figure out how to make the trays.

11916_01150001020401030520080907f4e1e4fba67f5be564004d1b.jpg

if your looking to bend metal along a length you need to find a metal shop that has a metal brake. its basically a machine that will make bends anywhere from 10*-180*. to do at home you need a vise that will hold a length of 2x4 long enough for the bend you are looking to make then lots of manual labor to bend it.

Thanks! I googled metal brakes or bending brakes and ended up finding a cage supply place.

I'm wondering if I could used premade a/c drip pans or something instead of going through all the trouble of gathering all the equipment.

all you need is a bench mounted vise that has enough room to hold a 2x4. i dont remember the formula but i think it works out that if you want to make a bend you also need to allow about 1/4 of metal if not using metal machinery to make the bend. if going the route of galvinized it should be super easy.

I don't know how to make the pans but have made several cages too.
PouletsDeCajun - what kind of wire do you use to make your cages? The last ones I made with hardware cloth and they were a bit too flimsy.
~Rebecca

Quote:
I also used the 1/2" x 1" welded wire. My cage looks just like this one. I used hog rings to put the cage together.
jumpy.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom