Wire coop floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by majalemon, Jan 30, 2012.

1. majalemon

majalemon New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    I have a 12X14 dog run converted to the chicken yard. I built a coop that is 4X6 and put a wire floor 4X4. is wire a mistake?

the wire is 3.5 inches of the ground

2. BirdMan32

BirdMan32 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Arizona
    How do you clean up the poop underneath? Photos?

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Not to mention wire will allow drafts to get in as well

4. AuroraSprings

AuroraSprings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I think that's a good idea. You might could enclose the bottom and put in a door large enough to get your scoop/shovel in to clean up.

5. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Well, 3.5 inches off of the ground, will allow for some critters to get under, and possibly grab one of your chickens by the leg and start eating from the leg up... I have seen coops with wire floors. I personally don't mind it, but I wouldn't use it since I live in Michigan and need to be able to keep my coop draft free in the winter. BUT if I were to use a wire floor, I would make sure that nothing could get under the wire. Its nice to be able to take a hose to the floor area of the coop to just wash away the poop though.

6. Ted n Ms

Ted n Ms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Please be careful putting chicks in a brooder with a single wire floor. I had chicks on a 1/2 hardware cloth floor a few years ago after about a month i went out to feed one morning and found that something had eaten the toes off some of the chicks. The only thing i could figure was that rats had climbed the legs of the brooder and hung upside down to do the dastardly deed. After putting in a double floor about 1" apart no more problem. I will never use a single floor again.[​IMG]

7. majalemon

majalemon New Egg

Jan 30, 2012
    Sorry the 3.5 inches is only the 2x4 holding it up, so no draft or critter problem. Thought in the heat it could be raised some to vent the coop.
    The nest boxes come completly off to sweep or shovel.
    With the coop 4x6 with 4 foot walls it can be tipped up with minimal effort.
    The floor wire is 1/4 inch square, thought the birds would break it up and fall through

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Not much is going to fall through the wire.
    I'd put a solid floor

10. chycknFun

chycknFun Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Earth
    I was think about changing to a wire floor with a drop down floor beneath with a rubber mat covering with the dual purpose of easy cleaning and to save the luscious chicken poo will but I read wire floor may be tough on full size chickens feet can wire mesh floor be used or should I just give up on this idea?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by