Wire floor so poop can drop

Oreo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
South Carolina
Hi-- looking at building the coop. We live in a climate where it almost never gets below 20 degrees in winter. My parents used to have rabbit hutches with wire mesh floors so the droppings could fall right through. Will this work for chickens to reduce cleanup? If it would be too cold in the winter, maybe I could have a wooden floor insert I could put in in the winter time. The coop could be up on stilts, say, two or three feet off the ground. I'm thinking 1/2 inch squares on the mesh. Any ideas? btw, this is for a relatively small layer flock which I haven't purchased yet.

Jim

Jim,

You may want to consider a board under the roost. Chickens can drop the 'fertilizer' there when they sleep, and it's easy for you to clean. 1/2" hardwire cloth isn't large enough for droppings to pass through. A solid wooden floor will keep the hens feeling more comfortable. Use several inches of wood shavings to keep it cleaner and during the winter months warmer.

Carla

I agree. I have 1/2" chicken wire under my roosts and the chicken poop just sits on top of the wire. It is too big to fall through. You would have to have larger holes in the wire and then the chickens couldn't walk on it. As long as you have some kind of straw or wood shavings in the coop it is easy to clean.

Back
Top Bottom