Wire floors

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikvah, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Tikvah

Tikvah New Egg

Feb 17, 2012
    Recently I purchased six 5 week old female coturnix quail from a battery farm. I wish now I had 'rescued' more. They have settled really well. When my dog puts his paws and nose close to the bars they don't bat an eyelid (and he's big) when I open the door they go crazy.

I'm currently keeping them in a very large 98x86cms Guinea pig cage with hiding places. The only problem I've had is the new water bottle. The hay is always wet around it and needs changing every day.
    I plan to build a large off ground hutch and detachable off ground run for the backyard. I'm researching what grasses will grow in 4 inches of dirt and still survive the quail. I want the run to be as enriching as I can make it.

The question is wire floor or solid for the hutch. I live opposite the sea in an area known for mice and rats.

Other than convenience for the owner is there any advantage to wire. To me it feels cruel. Won't their feel hurt after awhile.
    What would be the best size of wire. Would rats eat through a corner of a wooden floor to gain access or grab a leg through the wire.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated for my new quail house.

2. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    [​IMG]

Yes, wire floors can maim your birds. You can place a plate under your water bottle to catch the drips. I have an aviary where my grow out birds are on the ground, with cages mounted on the back wall for breeders. They have a solid wood floor with litter.

3. stickers

stickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2010
    Hudson
    I use wire rabbit cages with no problem. I have a couple of plastic rabbit foot protectors on the bottom of cage . All the droppings and waste fall through, keeps everything nice and clean .

4. preciouseureka

preciouseureka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    I agonized for months over the whole flooring thing.....I live in an area with a lot of trash pandas and rats and I had heard horror stories about birds being killed. Frankly, the more I see the wire bottomed overstuffed in a garage type cages the more angry I get....

My coops are a compromise. Yes there is wire on the bottom but I move them onto fresh grass everyday, plus they get dry grass, the tops of whatever veggie I've harvested and whatever else is clean and nice to sit on everyday. I also built them with wide edges so they always have a choice.

Yes, it's more work, more time and a lot more effort, but these little birds are worth it! Just seeing them come running when they get something new and watching them hunt around on fresh grass tells me they know the difference and they appreciate it.

Yep, gonna get flack for this I know. Not looking to insult anyone but I've quietly read through a lot of pro wire posts and I do get to speak......

5. ZedR

ZedR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2015
    Central PA
    I had mine on wire floors and they seemed OK but I have moved most to the ground now inside a special quail shed we built. Let's face it, would you want to stand on wire day and night?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by