1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wire & mess ??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Reg, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Reg

Reg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Hi there

Some of the wire used to fence off runs is much heaver gauge than i intend to buy.

This worries me as it must cost lots more, so you would not uses it unless you know something i don't !

Has anybody had something bite through standard gauge wire mesh ?

Has anybody in the Uk had a fox bite through ?

Cheers Reg

2. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    What about dogs? A big dog can go through regular chicken wire. And you'll need a fine, heavy mesh to keep the weasels out. (At least you don't have to worry about raccoons unlatching the door, or bears smashing the whole coop! [​IMG] )

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    2"x4" welded wire will stop dogs, possums, and coons from getting in. Hardware cloth, .5"x.5", will stop predators from reaching in and doing harm to birds if they venture to the edge of the run. I use both.

While the cost is more for the heavier wire, it will save heart ache in the future.

Buy right, cry once. How much time and money do you have invested in your birds? Do the math, buy the heavier wire fence. A fox can go through standard hex chicken wire, just with the swipe of a paw. It is that fragile.

4. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    If you are thinking chicken wire, then stop right there. Chicken wire will only stop chickens.

Dogfish has it right use 2x4 welded wire with the bottom 2 ft covered with 1/2' hardware cloth.

5. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Standard chicken wire is a joke. I'm in a high predator area and I chose to invest the extra money by using 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth. Some people thought it was unnecessary, but I am the only one in my area of chicken owners who has never had a break-in. It's worth it to do it right, especially if you have predators in your area.

Good luck.

6. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    definitely good information to know, for sure, thanks!

7. Reg

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Well there is good news & bad news

The good news is i have bought 1" x 1" x 16G galvanised mess. Sold as fox proof.

The bad news is I have now found out that the foxes round here will go to any lenghts to get what they want !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yet again this site has given me the answer I needed & saved me making a big mistake.

Thank you friends

Reg

8. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Silly fox! That rifle isn't ready to fire.

9. Reg

Jan 6, 2011
    Luton
    Quote:He is used to an MK47 normally ! [​IMG]

10. Dogfish

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Quote:He is used to an MK47 normally ! [​IMG]

40mm is cool. Here's my son firing an M203.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by