1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wire roofing is it OK?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by solarquail, Oct 28, 2010.

1. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    we have some like 2inch by 4 inch wireing that we were thinking about putting on our pheasant pens sides roof and all. we want to get our swinhoes and White creasted kalij in there new pens but got to find out what kind of pen we want to build. looks just like this on the link http://best4lessfencing.com/2inchx4inch welded wire.JPG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  2. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    That's called 2x4 welded wire. It's great for the sides, but when possible, all pens for any bird really need to be netting. This is to protect them if or when they fly up and hit the top. If you have very calm birds that never freak out and fly, you're fine, but must at least once in their life will be jumpy, especially pheasants and green peafowl.
    The wire doesnt give when they hit it and can cut them, or just out right break their necks. This is why most use the 1 or 2 inch mesh netting. It's not all that expensive either, comes in various roll sizes which is good cause you can make it one solid peice too instead of having to seam the wire together on the tops.
    Stromberg hatchery is weher I get mine from, they have about the best prices on it. If I remember right a 25 x 50 roll of 2 inch was only $70 or so with shipping, about $90 ish

here's the direct link to the netting section

http://www.strombergschickens.com/products/aviary_supply.php

3. solarquail

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    im trying to work with what i have already. i have some thick plastic like netting its about 2 inch mesh would that work?

4. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Do you mean snow fenching?I wouldn't trust it.Spend a little more money to protect your investment,it will be well spent money.Either hardware cloth or nettting is best.Don't forget to put an apron of wire around the perimeter of your pen.You can bury it,but it is not neccesary.I lay mine on top of the grass,stake it down with tent stakes so it doesn't stick up and let the grass grow right threw it.This way you can see if it needs to be replaced and you can even cut your grass that grows threw.
    Kalig are very flighty birds,you will need to make sure your pen is secure.
    In N.H.,Tony.
    Quote:

5. Alien

Alien Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Don't use any type of netting on your sides. I don't even like using it on the tops anymore. I don't know how many male pheasants
    I have lost when they get there spurs caught up in the netting. By the time you notice them , usually happens at night they are dead
    or have snapped the bone or tendons fronm twisting. Even had just a single toenail caught up. Also racoons can go through the netting.
    Just a tip, learned the hard way, eventually all my pens will be converted to 1" coated wire.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Our new pheasant pen has the same 2x4 welded wire for the top that you are talking about. So far so good for us. We just added a young batch of hens from this spring and there was quite a bit of jumping and hitting the top. None of them hurt themselves.

Steve

7. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The only problem with that wire is predators can reach threw and grab your birds.Plus the chicks and some adults like goldens can squeeze threw it.
    In N.H.,Tony.

8. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Predators can only reach 6 to 8 inches at the most right? Most peoples pens measured in feet. Putting chicken wire on the inside keeps younger birds in. By the time my pheasants get to an outside pen they can't fit thru 2X4 welded wire.

Steve

9. solarquail

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    kinda like snow fencing but it seems alot thicker. what if i doubled it? i would want to provide plenty of room for them so they wouldnt feel the need to be near the sides. i know my quad of kalij isnt very flighty actually will eat out of your hand. the owner the breeder of them took very good care of them and socialized them thank god unlike most pheasants i get from people. exspecially with all the visitors we get they cant be jumpy.

Here is all my pheasant pictures.if yall would like to see them

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=18642&id=100001390470278&l=d5817b1dbd

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Predators can only reach 6 to 8 inches at the most right? Most peoples pens measured in feet. Putting chicken wire on the inside keeps younger birds in. By the time my pheasants get to an outside pen they can't fit thru 2X4 welded wire.

Steve

I stop the grabbing threw the fence thing with electric fence around the bottom of all my pens. They are horrible here, and yes, eventually even at 6-8 inches of reach, 12-24 on coyotes and such, a bird will one day sleep on the ground by the fence and yes something will get it without protection...
    I run 2 strands, on 8 inch insulators. These long ones keep bird heads from poking out the fence and getting shocked too.
    I put 1 row at 4-6 inches high for digging, and another at 12-14 inches high for tearing threw. Coyotes and big cats have no problem eating threw even 2x4 welded wire when hungry...
    Hot wire is the only thing that will stop them, well that and buckshot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by