1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wire size and type?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frostychicken, Apr 14, 2007.

1. frostychicken

frostychicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    I had expected to purchase some traditional chicken wire/poultry netty for my new chicken run... Now I've seen a great variety of wire types and cannot decide which to buy. I will have a run covered with bird netting and plan to bury 6"-12" of the wire in the ground (to discourage critters from digging in). My wire choices are: traditional chicken wire, welded wire (2"x4" openings), and a plastic coated welded wire.
    What will be safest for the chickens and will also stand the test of time?

2. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    I use 19 guage 1/2" welded mesh wire. It costs more than chicken wire but is VERY worth it. Nothing can get through it:no racoons, snakes, etc.

Food for thought:
    If the holes are too large racoons can easily reach through the wire, grab a chicken, pull it to the fence, and eat your chicken one bite at a time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by