Wireless collar on rooster??

WB4IUY

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 5, 2017
OK, please don't crow me out of the run, but I'm curious if anyone has ever experimented with a miniature version of a wireless fence / dog collar on their rooster? I let my birds free range when I'm home, which is most every day, since I'm retired. My Americana Rooster, Lucy (a story for another post, hahaha), leads my girls far away if I'm not watching. I'd like to be able to contain him a bit more, and wondered about a noise or light shock collar and wireless fence.

OK, I'm ready for the beating :)

OK, please don't crow me out of the run, but I'm curious if anyone has ever experimented with a miniature version of a wireless fence / dog collar on their rooster? I let my birds free range when I'm home, which is most every day, since I'm retired. My Americana Rooster, Lucy (a story for another post, hahaha), leads my girls far away if I'm not watching. I'd like to be able to contain him a bit more, and wondered about a noise or light shock collar and wireless fence.

OK, I'm ready for the beating :)

Now that is thinking outside the box. Unfortunately, there is no premade wireless collar that would fit him. Chickens have total pencil necks, and if the collar fit just right without the bird being able to get out of it, then the collar is too tight, and probably hurting him. If the collar fits the bird comfortably, then it's probably too loose and the bird could wiggle out.

You'd really need a wireless harness. But then the bird could get caught up on it while free-ranging, and harm him.

I dunno. Maybe someone could solve these problems and create wireless fencing built just for chickens with different technology. Maybe there is money to be made there!

Good luck.

So I know they make invisible fence collars for cats. The difference being they are smaller and safe to use on an animal of a lighter weight. You'd have to look at the weight recommendations for the collar as well as the weight of your rooster to determine if there's any level of safety there.

:) I think I could fabricate a collar with gentle spring loaded wipers to contact his neck, so the collar could be left loose enough to no be a problem. Before I retired and sold my machine shop, we had a contest in my shop where the guys would put a dog collar on and see just how high the setting could be and still wear it. The lowest setting was about like sticking a 9v battery to your tongue...not much of a signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
:oops:I have been reading about no crow collars and rooster collars. One of the problems is the danger that the rooster hangs himself on a branch or so. I don't know if any collar can be safe.

My chickens (with or without a rooster accompanying them) usually don't go far from the coop if they only have one or two hours to free range. Do this e.g. 1-2 hours before sunset.

Another trick is to let them free range in the morning and not give them any food. And call them to dinner after 2 hours. My chickens hang around hoping I will give them something nice to eat. I’m pretty sure they don't go far.

Like to try? Do this on a regular basis. Never let them free range for more then 2 hours. Anyway I do this about 5 times a week and my chickens seem to have learned dinner is being served after approx 2 hours. Spoil them with extras like mealworms, broken mais, boiled rice and other things they like.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I'm ready for the beating
This actually was brought up not long ago, someone claimed to be trying it out...they got 'beat' severely and left. Too bad, as I was curious to see if it worked out. Mostly how they put it on the bird because....
Chickens have total pencil necks,

Thinking it would have to be attached to a harness to stay on the bird.

So I know they make invisible fence collars for cats.
Hmmmm.

Do you think a rooster would have the mentality to understand what was going on?
Valid point. Would be tricky to figure this out, and maybe amusing(in a rather sick way) to observe the 'training'.

You invited a beating, so here goes: Check out shock collars for chihuahuas, that should be small enough, then try it out on yourself to feel what kind of "jolt" it gives. The old expression: " You get more bees with honey than with vinegar" works great. Chickens are food centric, so a better way to "control" their behavior is teaching them the word "treat" so when they hear that they will come running for the goodies. Inflicting pain or fear on any living being to get them to "obey" is just plain mean. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom