wiring thermostat ?

jvls1942

Crossing the Road
15 Years
Oct 16, 2008
wausau,wisconsin
is there a wiring diagram somewhere on byc for wiring a thermostat into an incubator..

If you can just tell me the diagram,, ie white wire/black wire, I will understand that..

If you would wire a heating coil without a thermostat, would you put the white line wire to one wire on the coil and the black line wire to the other wire on the coil ?

If you would wire a heating coil without a thermostat, would you put the white line wire to one wire on the coil and the black line wire to the other wire on the coil ?

Correct... Although I wouldn't advice wiring any heating element (coil or lamp) in a incubator without a thermostat... It will never turn off, just keep heating and heating...

Regards

Last edited:
thank you daidalus62,

I completely ripped a brooder hood apart and replaced the wire coil with the guts from a damaged Hovabator incubator..

I wired thermostats many times before, but it seemed to me if I connected a white wire to one end of the heating element, and a black wire to the other wire at the other end, I would cause a dead short..

well, after looking on line for over an hour, with no luck, I sat down with paper and pencil, and drew several scenerials . the only one that seemed like I would get a complete circuit is the one I described above..

I was not thinking of wiring the element without a thermostat,, I only mentioned that, because then if that would be the case, I would know how to proceed wiring in the thermostat..

I wired it with the neg/shite wire to one wire at the end of the element, and I wired the black/positive wire to the thermostat and the other wire from the thermostat to the wire on the other end of the element..

I don't mind telling you that I was afraid to touch any part of the brooder after I plugged it in..

but everything turned out perfect..

so then I wired in a night light that stays on all the time,, and I wired in the fan from the Hova to stay on all the time..

I was going to wire in an indicator light which would come on only if the element was on, but I could not get it to fit into the hole provided..

I will make a trip to Menard's or Fleet/Farm and see what they have for light sockets..

.......jiminwisc...........

You're welcome, jvls1942
It's a pretty straightforward circuit, glad you sorted it out in your Hovabator salvaged guts.
thumbsup.gif

Regards

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom