Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Good Evening. Another busy day here on the hill.

babylady4, I'm glad you enjoyed your day off!
wee.gif

Why are days of so short?
idunno.gif

We needed to buy some green peppers, we used all of ours up. The farm market has them 4/1.00. That's a really fair price, I think.

Nothing but the best.

~ bigzio

Well- It's the first day of Fall. Are we all ready for this?????The day is almost over before it begins, the days are so short already.

I'm making homemade meatball soup. It's the bomb! Pretty much it's fall veggies with mini meatballs made like meatloaf. And you top it off with a dalop of sour cream. True German recipe. My grandmother used to made that for me too. I try to make the things that she used to make me, for my kids. They never got to meet her....
hit.gif
....but I'm trying to keep her memory alive. (She died 20 days before my oldest was born. And was super special to me.)

Hope you all are enjoy this day.
frow.gif

Good Evening.

fordmommy, way to go with keeping the memories alive. I still talk about my grandma all the time. Today in fact. My one daughter is named after grandma.

God I miss her....I know she know's, by the lump in my heart.
love.gif

Canned another 11qts of V8 today. That puts the total at 67 qts...
wee.gif
I'm thankful for the harvest so far. It truly is a blessing, eh?

Have a great evening, and a good day tomorrow....this is truly as good as it gets.

~ bigzio

I've got apples coming out of my ears here!

Wolf River, Macs, Delicious, you name it I've got them..... and NO time to process any of them!

Oh and did I mention the concord GRAPES!
th.gif

I need a twin..........

Good Early Afternoon....

babylady4... I really am thinking of buying a apple press for making juice. I love
love.gif
apple juice and think it would be worth buying. It is a investment, but I could share with folks like you, eh? I would never charge for someone being able to save all the harvest. I have been talking about buying one for years. I just might get er done before next fall.

Lehmans sells all the goody stuff. I would prolly get one there. Even kinda crappy apples could be used. Not anything you would want in your juice though.

Buck Creek I hope you have a great show...
fl.gif
I wish I could make it. Please keep us posted how it goes. The shows are so much fun.
wee.gif
Great judges make a great show. Just showing will be worth the effort!
thumbsup.gif

~ bigzio

I wanted to try my hand at apple sauce. My grandmother used to make stuff like "fruit roll ups" out of apple sauce. Yum! Yum! But I don't have any more apples. I'll just have to wait until they go on sale.

Babylady4-you making wine out of those grapes????
wink.png
I'll be right over. I love homemade wine!

Who said anything about wine? I may have a chemistry background but I have no equipment and no idea how to start making wine...... although now you have given me ideas....
wink.png

I am going to try and make an Amish recipe for grape juice, it is easy as can be so I thought why not? I'll make grape jelly with the rest.

The apples and grapes are at a friends house. This guy has something like 14 trees HEAVY with fruit..... and about 120 ft of concord grapes to use..... So I will be a busy bee this weekend! I need to put up about 20 jars of applesauce, the kids have eaten all the stuff I made a few weeks ago! I thought I would try a recipe for apple pie filling too.....

fordmommy, applesauce is really easy to make, you just have to make sure you make it with sauce apples (like McIntosh).

Cut your apples into quarters and put them in a pot, turn your burner on low, add about a 1/2 c water to the pot, some sugar to taste, a little butter, some cloves and a cinnamon stick if you want; cover and let it cook for about 20-40 min (depending on how many apples you are doing and the size of your pot). I have a Foley food mill that I put my apples through when they are finished cooking, but a wire mesh strainer works just as well. If you leave the peels and cores in you get a pink color sauce. If you do not want to mess with the strainer or food mill, just peel and core your apples before cooking. Just remember to take out the cinnamon stick and cloves! The sauce will not be as full of fiber as the one with the peel but it will still be just as good!

All the posts about apples and applesauce made me wonder about applebutter...I do know how to make applesauce and everybody seems to love it. I have never made applebutter though and would love any tips/recipes....Thanks!!

Here is a great recipe for Apple Butter from the Allrecipes web site.

All Day Apple Butter

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

* 5 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped
* 4 cups white sugar
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

1. Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
2. Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
3. Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
4. Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness.
5. Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.

You can always process in a water bath canner and adjust the recipe to taste.

The wise ladies I have coffee with in the mornings make their apple butter in a slow oven overnight. (Oven temp about 200)

Back
Top Bottom