Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

You can raw pack. We cook.. then can. With chicken it will be a slow roast with all the stock items...everyone has their own preference. Then can with the meat & stock.

Venny we will cook and can,

Broilers are ok for soup stock.....do some older birds or 20 - 24 week old DP cockerels....
and you never buy the canned stuff in the stores again.

When construction season gets in full swing...and we are both busy...canned venny or chicken
make great & quick meals. Easy for our kids to take to their homes & store if they only have small frig/freezer.

good morning,

we never canned any meat,, we have 5 freezers..
but my bro Dave cans venison,,
it really hits the spot when we are out on the lake ice fishing,,

If I were to can a chicken, I think I would cook it first,, debone it and put just the meat without skin or bone into the jars.. you already have the flavors fixed .. and no sense using up jar space with bones..
I would add any veggies at the time of canning to avoid overcooked and mushy veggies..
I would add onions at the time of precooking the chicken..

we do not put whole chickens into the freezer.. we either cut them in half from neck to tail, or we cut them into parts and freeze packages of just legs, or just breasts , etc ,, the backs and necks. get frozen in their packages for soup..

............jiminwisc.........

I can chicken. So far just boneless skinless chicken breasts when they are on a good sale. I cut it into 1 inch strips, put 1 pound of raw chicken in a pint jar, 1/4 tsp of salt, cover with hot chicken stock and pressure can for the required amount of time. I am going to can the thighs skin-off but bone in when I butcher my home-raised broilers this summer. We don't eat dark meat much, the boneless skinless breast are so easy to cook with and I don't like to deal with all the tendons in the legs. I like the flavor of dark meat OK and canning will make it easier to pick all the meat off the bones when you go to use it. As far as leaving the bones in, it will be easier than trying to remove the bones and I have read that leaving the bones in adds flavor.

I just flew through 300 posts! SHEESH you guys talk a lot in 2 weeks. I will start a new bash thread after work today. The old one cant be edited after 60 days I think, I had an issue one other year too, I will add the link in my signature so it will be easy to get to. Maybe some of "you others" can do that too? Especially if you post in other areas of BYC.

Lots of heartbreak on here...sad for all that were affected.
Gotta run! Stay warm...we are headed for chilly weather again*sigh* Please come soon Spring!
TerriO

So far, 2015 has been pretty sh!tty.

I just received word from my FIL that an ermine must have broken into the duck pen. So now I really have no reason to be a member of this forum, all of my birds are dead.

hit.gif

I will miss them all. Funny tough little Checkers, who though he was as tough as a Terrier; sweet Jules who was such a good mamma; and the only baby from last summer Mischa.

So far, 2015 has been pretty sh!tty.

I just received word from my FIL that an ermine must have broken into the duck pen. So now I really have no reason to be a member of this forum, all of my birds are dead.

hit.gif

I will miss them all. Funny tough little Checkers, who though he was as tough as a Terrier; sweet Jules who was such a good mamma; and the only baby from last summer Mischa.
I am so sorry! Ducks are so sweet and funny. I am very sorry for your loss.

Chickie update: The chick that pipped wrong way round had not made any progress after 24 hrs. I finally took it out of the 'bator and carefully removed the shell in a ring around the original pip, then put it back. Around midnight it finally hatched and seems healthy, although one foot is curled. Will have to put an orthotic on him.
big_smile.png

The final three eggs all pipped yesterday afternoon. This morning two of them looked close to hatching. I didn't bother them, but wish I had. One of them got partially zipped then got stuck. It didn't make it. Had I finished helping it zip when it stopped, it would have made it. I feel awful. The other one hatched though and the final egg is still just hanging out. I will keep a close eye on it and step in if I need to. So of 10 eggs received, 5 were yolkers, one died trying to hatch, 3 have hatched and still waiting on one. I guess I can't complain.

Thanks, all for the info on canning meat. I will definitely have can some of the meaties I am raising. We just butchered a steer so the deep freeze is FULL. We plan on getting a couple of feeder pigs in spring. I am thinking we will need a second deep freeze. Guess I will have to hit Craig's List to see what I can find.

Crappy weather here today. Hope everyone else is having a better time of it.

Stay warm!

Back
Top Bottom