Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

it is happening again , right now.. the posts are coming through without page numbers and also NO TEXT !!
ETA:
I logged off and came back,, all seems to be normal again,,

the trouble with going through the turnabouts is the drivers who know how.. they have no patience for us newcomers..
they are soooo smug, and forget that they had to learn once..

Last edited:
Yep....waiting for the light to turn was so bad for folks that we have to deal with a whirly ride instead.
Sure wish I could wait for the light to change...another good concept lost to impatient folks.

bigz

Roundabouts are supposedly more efficient and cause less accidents; they have been using them in Europe for years.

I am with all of you, I hate the things but once you drive through them a few times you get the hang of them.

oh boy it just got better...the well line froze...so today is starting off great...even left the water running and there is a 250 watt light in the well pit....its godda be cold for it to freeze...still not even 60 in the house....i guess that y they call it the frozen tundra huh

The roundabouts are safer (in terms of injury) and handle more traffic. They totally eliminate the T-Bone accidents, which nearly eliminates people dying there - there are some idiots out there who insist on dying no matter what you do. However, the rate of side-swipe accidents is the same or higher, but the damage of these accidents is significantly less - to people and vehicles.
They are designed to handle truck trailer combinations, the inside of the roundabout has a paved area for the rear tires of the trailer to go and the curb is more of a slope than anything so the trailers do not need to mount a curb. take it slow though - the speed for a roundabout should be around 15 to 20 mph. I watched a semi with an empty trailer almost tip over because he was going too fast, the trailer swung wide to the right and he hit the curb there.

In general, roundabouts aren't too bad to drive - the multi-lane ones, like at Hwy 29, are harder but you just need to know where you want to go before you enter. The signs will tell you what lane to be in before you enter the roundabout, stay in your lane as you go around and you just follow the pavement markings to exit. For instance, if you are coming from the west and are going to be taking the ramp for north 41, enter the roundabouts in the left lane, go straight through the first two roundabouts and at the third roundabout follow the lane markings to move to the right and exit onto the ramp.

The highway 29/32 interchange for US 41 is a little different; there is a section of road that is separated from the main US41 lanes that you use to get to the ramp for 29 west and the ramp to the other local roads. The ramp for 29 west to Shawano is a flyover ramp off 41 and you will miss the roundabouts completely if you take this; it is the main lanes for HWY 29. This route does not have an exit for a ways. I took it once by accident and you have to go west to the next interchange and then turn around and drive all the way back. I was warned by DH and my sister, but I still flubbed it.
lau.gif

oh boy it just got better...the well line froze...so today is starting off great...even left the water running and there is a 250 watt light in the well pit....its godda be cold for it to freeze...still not even 60 in the house....i guess that y they call it the frozen tundra huh

We had the cold water line for the kitchen sink freeze yesterday morning. DH went down into the basement and he was just speechless about the set-up they had. When the air exchanger for the central air was installed, they removed a window to run the pipes out through. They put a sheet of plywood in its place. No insulation or anything and DH could see sunlight, and it is in a small room that is shut off from the rest of the basement. No wonder the kitchen floor in that area is so dang cold.
Luckily it didn't take too much to defrost the waterline.
I hope yours is as easy to solve. stay warm!

Snowflakey morning everybody!

I don't know but I think round about a are FUUUN! Well, but I also grew up with them, so even a 3- or 4lane round about doesn't scare me. It's more the people that can't decide if they should let other drivers in or take their right-of-way while crawling with barely 5mph (the stress on the poor car as it could be tipping when u go faster!
1f631.png
) is driving me nuts every time though... And the ones here are just simple one lane ones!!!

Our warm water line to the kitchen sink froze 2 days ago with the very low temps and the icy cold wind. But the cold water is still running, as we leave a continuous stream run for now. But it's only February and who knows what Mother Nature has still planned for this absolutely lovely
1f620.png
winter!

Birdies are all doing fine, the brats dog is back to his usual naughty self, besides having added eating bark and wood pieces from the fire wood to his past times. Tax return all done and even got it back already (only took one week!!!) so SO is in the process of not being able to decide which pellet stove on CL he wants. And of course looking for another beater he can add to our ever growing car park. Urgh! Him and his son actually felled some trees to make room to park all the ones that don't drive anymore out of the way... You could think we open a junk yard by now...

Otherwise nothing else new. Trying to sneaky snow here, very fine snowflakes that you can barely see but fall constantly for at least 2 hours now. And not looking forward to all this cold this week. Just hope this will end soon, as even the birds are getting tired and too cold with all the white stuff. And they could really use another pool day... They're sooo dirty!

Okay, back to chores and then heading to town for some relaxation. Later everyone!

Back
Top Bottom