Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

I like them too,, but I would scale them down to 4 ft x 8 ft. they are quite heavy, and it is difficult to catch birds in them because they run to the opposite end.. you could reach them with a net if the distance was shorter,, now it takes 2 people to catch them,,

I have step by step pictures while I was building these..

the doors roll on overhead door rollers and track,, never plug up or freeze ..

I move these around with my tractor bucket and some special 4x4 forks that I made ..

are the pics in this forum or somewhere else...i was just thinking about the gathering of the birds...and to solve the issue i was going to build a temp gate that would go thru the center...for i need to build some of these units for the pheasants i will be growing out this year...seems like a good cost effective way to do this...not to mention portable...do the birds have hardware cloth for the bottom or a solid piece of something

Quote: I have a file of pictures of these pens,,

the floor is a heavy gage 1" x 1" wire mesh,, reinforced with wooden cross members beneath, then I put 1/2" x 1/2" hardware mesh on top of the 1" mesh,, the tiny guineas kept falling out of the larger holes.. I have steel roofing over the top .. the ends are plywood with a peep slot on top for viewing the birds.. the back is 1" x 2" mesh with 1/2 in tacked along the floor up to about a foot high,, again, to keep the tiny birds from escaping..

the front is constructed the same as the rear, except for the addition of the doors..

I used this sized mesh because that is what I had on hand..

I would not put a solid floor in,, the mesh allows liquid to drain through and the bedding stays quite dry ..

I tried wood chips for bedding,, works OK, but gradually gets sifted through the mesh and only the largest chips remain,, hay or straw works very good..

PM me with your home email address and I can send some pictures..

..........jiminwisc.........

Hmmm...... very quiet here tonight. Everyone must be getting for the deep freeze. Stay warm taking care of your birdies & be safe.

Jim, I love your avatar pic too. The pup is saying "but moooommmmm........ I'm hungry".

Hi All!

Bracing for the cold! The little oil radiator heater went out in the coop... good timing right? Well, wasn't meant to heat the coop, just a warm up area.

Night All!

Freezing morning all...

Was only supposed to go down to -8 last night but now, at almost 9am, we still have -15 with a wind chill of -28!!! Brrrr. All worried out my babies so heading back a day earlier. And sure glad we got at least a bit of warmth for them during the night! Gosh I'm gonna be so glad when this deep freeze weather is going away for the year!
1f628.png

Urgh my brains not functioning right either, keep pushing the wrong buttons on everything this morning.

Nothing else new here. Kept peeking in every now and then. It even Jim must have been cold as the forum was very quiet and nobody posted for a good long while. Hope his old bones didn't freeze up?!
1f61b.png

So will stop by later when everyone was brutally shaken awake by the cold. Stay warm and bundle up everybody! Later...

Last edited:
We're one day closer to spring :)

We had a light dusting of snow this morning, but now the sun seems to be trying to break through. I can live through cold as long as it isn't consistent gray skies forever with it. I'll be looking forward to Saturday though. 29 degrees and my parents will be popping in. I bet all the critters will appreciate the warmer temps too.

good morning,

poor old jim and his stiff old bones has been up since 6:eek:o. waiting for the rest of the world to stir.

I brought the dogs in last night,, I am sure they would survive the cold, but they were so appreciative and went right to sleep.. I put them back out for the day,, they run around and keep warm during the daytime.. and the sun is out and you can feel it's warmth,,
Gus will lay in his coop with his head hanging out of the door.. often Frankie will be in the coop too..
the little dogs have a chicken brooder to go under in the chicken coop.. it stays just above freezing in there most of the time..

too cold to run into town for breakfast, so I made eggs and bacon here,,
already drank too much coffee..

had a call from a lady about a pup.. after talking to her for a little while, Annie said she would call her back.. well, she lied to her,, Annie said, no way am I calling her back, and no way is she getting one of our pups.. she just rubbed Annie the wrong way,,

morning everyone...day is going good...hope everyones is to...bundle up its cold...snowing here.....

thanks jim for the pics...helps alot

just got rid of two pair of my pheasants to make some room for the new birds that will be coming in...

Back
Top Bottom