Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

@birdmansmom you should not put the phone number on a public forum like this. It would be best to PM the info to Jim. There are people who scan these type of forums for that sort of information and can cause your friend problems. My sister got a lot of crank calls when a friend accidentally posted her phone number, she ended up having to get a new number.

Hugs to you Kristi. That is a very rough spot to be in.
hugs.gif

My mom is trying to empty her house that she has had for 60+ years. It is a monster and packed to capacity with stuff. She has quite a bit of older stuff too & has taken some of the better stuff to consignment stores. What she has told me is that they are not interested in much of any glass, especially depression since it is not selling well & they already have a lot of it. I think consignment stores might be a good option for you but try to shop around if at all possible since they all take differing percentages. There is one here in Muktown that wants 60%! Criminals. Antiquers are criminals too. They want to give you a dollar so they can turn around & sell it for $20.

Your best bet to get the most $$ for your stuff usually involves your time and effort. Flea markets & other large crowd-drawing rummage events are the best bets (along with Ebay & maybe CL). Mukwonago has quite a few every year at Field Park on 83 & NN, and it isn't far from New Berlin.
Oh CC, if you only knew what it takes to run a small business these days. If you did you wouldn't be calling consignment shops and "antiquers" criminals. Antique sellers are typically hard-working people who spend a lot of time, gas and wear-and-tear searching for things, hauling them out of debris, cleaning them, repairing them, researching them, pricing them, displaying them, photographing them, marketing them, and sometimes packaging and shipping them. It's all part of the draw and charm of the biz. It's such a specialized and fickle market that a person can buy something and end up with it languishing on a shelf for years before it sells. It runs in unpredictable cycles and is the first biz to suffer when there is any kind of negative financial situation going on in the world. Antiques and collectibles are not a necessity so they are the last things people want to buy when times are hard or even when times just might become hard.

I might buy something to put in my store for a dollar (as in your example above) and maybe sell it for a profit right away, but it is more likely that it will take a lot longer than that. Most things don't just fly off the shelves. I take in consignments because I can't afford to put a lot of money into inventory. I started doing it for 25% and I quickly found that was way too low. I charge 50% for most items because I need to pay bills to survive. Most others do as well. When I purchase anything for the store I have to be able to sell it for at least twice the price I paid for it so my consignment fee reflects that.

Your mother's old things may be worth more to you because you have a sentimental attachment to them. To an antique dealer it's a business decision. They're not buying grandma or Aunt Hattie, they're buying a thing that might possibly help them pay their bills in the future. If they're lucky, in the not too distant future. It's a risk for them to invest money in things so they have to be savvy, smart and they have to know a lot about a lot of different merchandise.

When you consign items to a dealer you are paying for their expertise, time, marketing efforts and the business customers and reputation they spent years building. Ebay and CL can work but they are crap shoots and they have their many drawbacks. Ebay has become anti-seller and eBay and Pay Pal (eBay's own payment company) fees wipe out much of the profit. CL has become creepy and full of scammers. If you have the time and knowledge to be able to sell your family treasures yourself, God bless you. People like me offer an alternative.

We are not criminals. We are not trying to take advantage of anyone. We are not trying to scam Grandpa & Grandma. We operate in a risky, work intensive business environment and we set our prices and fees so that we can continue to pay the bills and perhaps make a profit every once in awhile. Ever notice how many small businesses close up shop within the first year? It's a jungle out there.

bun.gif

Aw, Kristi. Tough for sure.
Irish, I am seeing a lot of girly action there. It is a little hard to tell with them in the pen. The females in my line tend to have neater more filled in feathers at that age. And longer tails.
Either way I am seeing good color!

I hope so, Cuties! Those two charge at each other all the time. The big one sometimes gets tired of it and steps in between them. It can be almost hilarious.

When they were together with the little ones they bullied some of them. One, in particular, was so much smaller than the rest (I think) because they wouldn't let her close to the food and water very often. She is now catching up in size with the rest of the littles.

As for Mom...it is a rollercoaster. She was horrible last Wednesday when I went there, better on weekend that they were going to send her home on Monday and then Monday her heart went erratic again so they put her in cardiac rehab to see what she could do. Did fine Tuesday/Wednesday and I guess her breathing is wonky today... not sure our plan, but trying to do a rummage next weekend when my last sister is flying in ( we will have decisions to make since Mom probably cant live alone anymore... especially in a three floor condo!) We also acquired some old things from her boyfriend and alot of old thing she wants to get rid of so if anyone knows an antiquer/junker who would give fair prices... and would travel to New Berlin area... we have carnival glass, old asian table and vase, old typewriters, 1930 depression dishes.. we want more than rummage sale prices so trying to figure this out. She has this gorgeous shelf she wants to get rid of and we dont know if it is victorian or reproduction... but so pretty.
CC is right about the glass. I have plenty of it that's not going anywhere any time soon. Most of it is marked well under book value. Colored Depression glass has up years and down years. This has been a down year. Clear or crystal glass you may as well use for target practice. Smaller pieces of furniture - like your shelf- will probably fare better right now. Some things are more suited for a store while others sell better on line (careful there) and still others get more for you at an auction. Rummage sales and flea markets are hit-and-miss but worth a try if you have the time to organize and hold a sale. Let me know if I can help you find a value for anything. I have a lot of reference books here that may be of service to you. Good luck!!

Hi All!

Sure hope no news is good news with Terrie's flock. It's getting scary! We (as many of you) have allot of wild birds around here, that's probably how I wound up with Marek's! and if they dragged that in...
sad.png

They E-mailed me about the chicks, apparently I misunderstood (I was driving when they called) but they will be sent May 4th. That's when they should have the breeds I wanted.

I would love a couple of blue egg layers (to anyone offering) but they would have to be over 20 weeks or vaccinated for Marek's.

That's it for now.... Night All!

I hear ya Irish!

I go back each fall and help teach a college course. I'm the small business owner brought in to go over start up.
Upper level course ( typically junior & seniors ). I'm beyond the anger stage at our education system. Just sad
at the knowledge level college...not junior high.. kids have today. Does not bode well for our country.

The again I still believe that I can figure out what a broody hen is thinking.

Back
Top Bottom