Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

the rust won't hurt the chickens..

Vinegar is acidic , so that is why it is hard on metal.
do like Cooties mentioned. use plastic waterers with the vinegar.
In the summer, the vinegar retards mold in your waterer.
at least it seems like mold, the black slime that builds up in the waterers. maybe all water does not do this, but my well water does.

..........jiminwisc.......

eta: if your metal waterer is rusty, eventually it will get a pin hole in it. If that happens, all of your water will leak out .
you can patch the pin holes with
JB Weld.
I am going to experiment with Gorilla Glue on my next pin hole.
Easier to use and a little goes a long way.

I know it holds water, because I accidentally plugged up my kitchen sink with it.. that's what gave me the idea to use it for pin holes..
We have well water too. I used vinegar in some plastic waters this summer and it still built up that black stuff, so we switched to the galvanized. And, we bought a heater for it to sit on so it does not freeze.

Cind, get well!
H&r so nice to read from you gorgeous buns! We raise Blue Laced Red Wyandotte :) I'll pm you.
Firstchick hmm. I suppose I could not tell you exactly. I just know that when Jim originally brought up using the ACV that I did some research. And found it was best to use it with mother. If you look at the bottles on the shelf in the store, one will say with mother near the bottom :)

Thrush= yeast. Yogurt to the rescue!

Anyone in the SE portion of the state know of a decent contractor? My cousin is in need of one: preferably licensed, insured and with references. She has a laundry list of repairs to do so she needs a jack of all trades.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Jim, I knew you would come thru on my questions.

You are welcome, and Cooties made a point of using vinegar with mother..

to tell the truth, I didn't take notice if my vinegar had mother or not..

the black still builds up, but it takes longer to do so.
I put about a cupful in each 5 gallon waterer. more or less.
It seems like the chickens drink more when I use it..
I really never monitored that real closely either..
around here , there are so many sources for them to drink that some days I don't fill the waterers..

.....jiminwisc.......

Hi All!

The "mother" means it hasn't been filtered to death. It still has some cultures in it.

Yea, I guess using one of my inhalers and not rinsing my mouth well enough after could get Thrush going. I was also on antibiotics which made it worse. Doc has me on a antifungel mouthwash and I'm washing out my mouth with vinegar water too. Also eating lots of yogurt!
They are sending a scope down my lungs at noon! That's why this is so bad now. Both Docs don't see a problem.
hmm.png

Night All

good morning, got up at 4:3o .
about all cuppa'd up already..
Hi H&R ,
What are you going to do with all those goats ?
One spring we had about a dozen born..
Pretty quiet on the bash thread.

........jiminwisc.........

DD and DS(10) showed some last year for fair and will do so this year as well. We also are milking the does once they kid and we drink the milk. We will most likely have some to sell again as well.

Back
Top Bottom