Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Evening to everyone... yep, the neighbor stopped over to show me his bear that he shot near Bowler. I think the bear population is higher than the DNR realizes. They are always 5 years behind what's really going on in the woods. They sit in a office way too many hours.

bigz

Evening to everyone... yep, the neighbor stopped over to show me his bear that he shot near Bowler. I think the bear population is higher than the DNR realizes. They are always 5 years behind what's really going on in the woods. They sit in a office way too many hours.

bigz

I have been hearing shots not too far away.. but it seems way to many to be shooting at game. but then again, not often enough to be target practicing.

I am high enough on the siding project to where I brought Ollie in with the bucket for a scaffold.
So now they are predicting rain for a few days.
I guess on those rainy days we will make some bread& butter pickles. have some tomatoes to can, too..

and if it is still raining, I can always rack off some wine.

both of the geese are back.. she was hiding in my shop under the planer in the shavings. no eggs. just practicing setting, I guess..

...jiminwisc........

Ok, @corewassen87 , I want pointers on butchering bear. We leave on Thurs and so far I think 11 or 12 of the tag holders have bagged a bear. I am probably going to butcher it myself so any hints would be awesome.

Morning all,

Just when I think the birds are getting a bit consistent... We seem to range between 3 and 5 eggs a day and I think it was actually the rock that was holding out on us. The other day, all the eggs had been laid on the floor and not in the boxes, yesterday they were all in the boxes except one I found out in the run. Makes me wonder if it snuck up on her?

I think sitting in their office gives the DNR plausible deniability. If we don't see it, it is not really there. There is a bear roaming in our area, I have not seen it but if it is the same sow that is normally around here it would not surprise me. We used to see tracks running through our property before all the other houses went up. Now she travels on the other side of 60th through all those fields. We still see deer and the occasional coyote so that is fun. Neighbors watch for fox as well, but it is the skunks that favor us the most. I wonder if my Foxfire book has bear butchering instructions in it...

Jim, I will have to gravel travel by your house to see them new improvements.

Sonja

good morning,
no rain here , YET ..
maybe I can get a couple more pieces of siding up.

Sonja, you are welcome to stop in and see the soffits close up.. anytime..

the TV guy is coming today to see if there is an alternate place to set the Dish .. it is attached to the chimney chase now, but we are putting siding on it, and then making a new cap for it.

I would be willing to build a mount for the dish .

Jake gave me a good idea on how to get the cedar boards off of the house easier
He was my apprentice for years, and now he is teaching me.

Sonja, that sow bear had a bunch of cubs. they must all be around, too.. she ranged from your house all the way to Little Chicago and to the west side of Wausau and Brokaw .

better get my body outside and see if I can beat the rain.

.......jiminwisc........

Just popping in to say hello from the northwoods (Price county) This is my first flock, and I hope they survive their first winter. We moved up here 2 years ago from Burlington, and the first winter we had a whole week at -20 degrees. Any tips for keeping my birds alive? The coop is insulated and I have straw and pine shavings to put down when it gets chilly. I will have to bring water out twice a day for them, but I have a black rubber feed pan so ice removal will be easier. The coop is 6' x 9' and I have 10 birds in there. They free range during the day. I have no power in the coop and it's about 200 ft from the house, so I really don't want to use an extension cord. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Good morning. It has been raining here since before I got up at 6 this morning and looks like it will be continuing. I don't have much to get done today except play with my 15-month-old grandson. :)

Fried--your chickens have nice down coats on! As long as they are draft free and dry you will not have problems. Make sure the perches are flat so their feathers can cover their toes so they dont freeze. I also like to keep the water out of the coop so it stays drier. You can start building up the bedding in there now ans by winter it may be starting to compost a bit providing even more heat. (deep litter method) There are lots of threads on here about dealing with chickens in the cold...pick and read wisely!
hmm.png

Good work Jim...glad you are using Ollie and not just hanging up on the roof in your sandals! Been raining here all night and still coming down...all is flooded in the barn--AGAIN! Little coop is also flooded out so if it ever stops I will head out and move it over.

Guess I better get something done! Have a good one!

Purina came out with another set of coop signs that are free with every layena purchase. The best part is, they sent this huge chicken to display them in. Guess who's taking this one home?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom