Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Wyodreamer, I actually keep my horses in my orchard. It took them about 4 years of being in there to realize if they lift their heads there are apples to be eaten. They don't usually take too many, but I have it set up so I can move them out of there if need be.
This talk of "thinning" the raccoons is sad. I'm over here trying to save healthy orphans while killing the ones that come in with distemper. I released 8 here last year and 6 so far this year. They are fairly expensive to raise. This little guy came in alone so he's been pretty spoiled.

Attachments

• Resized952021072395170153.jpg
    Resized952021072395170153.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 5
Freezer camp day!

We enjoyed help from the neighbors; gave them a tutorial in chicken butchering. Of course, they will get a few birds for their troubles.....

This round was 28 birds, average weight 6.27#. Not too bad, an increase of over 1/2 pound from the last batch average.

Had them all done and in the chiller before noon.

when your neighbor needs a plucker, I still have a whiz bang for sale.
I have been just tweaking my garden and new plantings in the perennial garden.
I got up early today and mulched some of the grape arbor with grass clippings. Have to do some more mowing for more mulch.
Spread a little dirt along the bank along the driveway to make it not quite as steep. Safer for mowing.
My wood chip compost pile is dwindling. I heed some more chips.
I have some tomatoes turning orange.
BLT's in our near future.
Wyo, where do you get all these baby raccoons ? Traps ?

Wyodreamer, I actually keep my horses in my orchard. It took them about 4 years of being in there to realize if they lift their heads there are apples to be eaten. They don't usually take too many, but I have it set up so I can move them out of there if need be.
This talk of "thinning" the raccoons is sad. I'm over here trying to save healthy orphans while killing the ones that come in with distemper. I released 8 here last year and 6 so far this year. They are fairly expensive to raise. This little guy came in alone so he's been pretty spoiled.
If the Racoons, Possum, woodchucks cross the line they have to leave. The Racoons have not only killed chickens (alot of them)they are damaging my barn trying to gain entry. The problem is they are being persistent.
Woodchucks I see anywhere by my buildings they have to leave. They are very destructive.
I killed 1 Racoon which took up residency in my barn last week. Suppose thought it was hotel chicken Hilton.
Trapped 3 more.
Things have settled down so hopefully the trouble makers are gone.

I think it is great you can save the Racoons. Nice picture. It would be interesting to raise a Racoon.

We have a pair of woodchucks living along the edge of the woods; have seen at least one on the property every year since we bought the place. They stay down by the woods and leave all my stuff alone so we let them be. If they started doing damage it would be a different story. We have a tree stump right at the edge of the woods that is about 10 feet tall, last year the woodchuck would climb up and sit on top of that stump, watching his kingdom.... it was a sight to see it climb up there.

Predators near the buildings must go. I don't want the diseases nor the pests that are associated with them around my house. AND I don't want the dogs to tangle with a coon, yote or fox if I can prevent it.

The second year we were here, a raccoon had a litter in the ceiling area of the calf shed - right across a driveway from the barn where the chickens are and where I feed the barn cats. The calf shed is where we store the garbage cans and about 30 feet from the fenced dog yard. Once I could hear the kits moving around up there, I started to walk the old dog in the shed a couple times a day and I threw mothballs in the area where they were. After 3 days, mama racoon moved the babies off the property.

There is a fine old, huge swampy area across the road from us. That is where they belong. So far the daily walking of the dogs around the buildings has worked to keep the bandits from homesteading on the place. We still get the occasional young one venture through, but we only had to trap and kill one in the last 6 years.

Back
Top Bottom