Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Hi all!

TO...
Jim--my birds listen when I yell at them too (most of the time) I think people dont realize how birds get to know exactly what you want them to do. Sometimes I think they are smarter than my dogs! I know they are smarter than me at times also...

People come over and are amazed when I Call "Chick, chick, chick..." and they all come running! They all go to roost (including the guineas) by themselves and I can pick most of them up without chasing them around. The neighbor likes to watch at treat time when I call and they come swarming from all directions!
lau.gif
They learn quite well, just got to spend a little time working with them. They also learn from the others. Hope your bread turned out good!

Jim... congrats to your grandson on getting a job! Not that easy nowadays.

lori...
welcome-byc.gif
and yes, Chicken Math!
lau.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Ken... any peeps?

CC.... Guess that's a bad news good news thing. The PRs I have/had are great layers and friendly but , yea, seem to be not so hardy. I'm taking another good look at breeds and to see what might work better for the spring.
hu.gif
Glad to see Myrtle is doing better at least.

Brandi... hope you get a chick or 2 one way or another!

Well, after the big coop clean yesterday I figured I should check over the chickens for "little pesties" I was going to treat them when FT was down (she found mites on one
sad.png
) but didn't have enough stuff left to treat them. Then I was broke, so it had to wait. Out of the 8 I checked, 2 had mites!
barnie.gif
So today with the help of a friend and my son we got all 45 dropped and dusted! I'll dust the coop Wed. All in all I think they took it well. The guineas were a trip to catch but the roosters were surprisingly easy and cooperative.... except for the cochin roo
hmm.png
he got bitey.
somad.gif
I thought cochins were suppose to be meek.
hu.gif
I think they get them from all the wild birds, the little buggers fly right in the coop! I let Lacey out of the small coop when we did the treatments and let her wander around between the coops. She decided she wanted back in with the "big girls" but by the time we were done she went back in with the kids. Another week and I think she'll be back in the main coop. She's been laying on and off so I guess it's about time.

I found a Plug in thermo thing at Manards. 2 outltes, turns on at 35* off at 45* $9.95 .

OK... need sleep... night all!​

I guess the only news I have is that a friend was here today with her grandkids .. the kids went out to collect eggs and lo and behold , they brought in a goose egg.. they found it the hay shelter under the turkey pen.. perfect,, I hope they keep laying there..

at 3am i checked to see if the heater was doing it's thing.. It was warm in the coop, but I don't think the heater had anything to do with it.. it is not all that cold outside.. the ground is not frozen..

I had a good night at cards.. made enough to pay all my people back and still have some $$ left for me..

..........jiminwisc........

Good morning everyone.

What a pleasure the last few days have been! My girls have been happy with the pleasant weather.

A question...are new members allowed to buy/bid on eggs? I sent a message to a buy it now, but didn't receive an answer and the message doesn't show in my sent mail. The listing is now gone.

Thanks!

Good Morning All! 1p sounds like the eggs were sold before your bid
idunno.gif
KNA it's always cool to hear them in the shell, it's not easy being an expectant mother
lol.png
Hope things go well! Cind people are always amazed when I call mine too. Guess they treat theirs as "just" chickens.
gig.gif
bran that is really weird about the disappearing egg! The wind blew all night here Bigz and supposed to continue today. The weather doesn't look very good for the opener. CC sorry to hear about your PR sometimes there is no answer it just happens
hugs.gif
WELCOME Lori! Glad TO talked you into getting on here. You've found yourself a GREAT new friend! Jim your comment on feeding times is making me wonder about me. [A lot of people often do] But I keep food in the feeder at all times, am I wrong in doing so? Should look at the splitter today but already don't feel like it. Plenty of other things to do. Supposed to be nicer on Friday.

Those chicks are BEAUTIFUL!!!
woot.gif

How in the world am I ever going to be able to wait until spring??? Terri O I may be moving in- all I need is a tent in the backyard- might get a little cold, but I'm game- to be surrounded by chickens and your goats and horses OH MY!! Pure Heaven!!!
Now Terri-please don't tell the gals I work with that I was playing with my black gold this morning- it is getting me thru my day-knowing if I work hard now and start all my prep now... the spring and summer of 2012 will be glorious!

Getting so much great info here- I love it. Any recommendations on what chickens I should start with? I really would like some RIR's but not sure what else would be good to start with- I can only have 6 within our city limits. Open to all ideas! Thank you new friends!!

Lori

Great Job little hen! (and KEN) Do you suppose the others will hatch too? Cind--thanks for saying about Menards and the thermocube...I hope my store knows what I am talking about--they frequently dont!
I played a round of Flylady Bingo this morning. GOt a lot done. I will play again this afternoon after I go out and feed and do some errands. Gotta go to the mill AGAIN!!! Man, I owe them so much $$$ right now! I hope I have a paycheck in the box when I go out. I still have to figure out how much that horse woman owes me...maybe she will have cash and I can pay the mill off! That would be really nice! THe $$ on made on the ducks and hens last weekend didnt go very far for sure.
Purple--I think you have to have 10 posts or something in order to bid and post pics and stuff...keep talking...it wont be long!
So Cind you caught up all your birds and dusted them individually? That must have been quite a feat! I know that I have lice on my birds...I grab a few here and there when I am giving them treats and dust them. I figure if I at least get the roos the next time they hop the hens they will dust them for me!
gig.gif
At least those boys are doing SOME work then!
hide.gif

So BigZ--how are your buckeyes? I think I might need a new roo. He is down on his legs and seems to limp especially on one! They are penned and dont go out so I have no idea what might have happened to him. I have a hen that I noticed that is a bit mopey too all of a sudden...figures, right when they start laying the problems start! For now I am just keeping a close eye on them. Hopefully it is nothing!
You guys better stop saying how wonderful I am.....(we need a blushing Smiley) otherwise I wont be able to get outside my head will be too big to fit out the door! We sure dont need any "bigheads" around here!!!
lau.gif

OFf to do more work...gotta get outside and see what everyone is up to! Have a fantastic day! Terri O

(PS) Jim-I hope you didnt spend all you earnings in one place!
Lori--dont let your boss catch you on the 'puter today reading about chickens at work!!!

good morning, DrH, I feed my chickens mainly in the morning,, but they do have feed all day.. by 1 or 2 PM, all the eggs are laid..

kind of keeping an eye on the geese today.. hoping they will lay their eggs in the hay shelter again.. have only one concern.. the Ttoulouse has been breeding the sebastopols also.. I do not want cross breed sebs.. I do not have the facilities to seperate them..

the hoses are good and frozen today.. time to hook up the electric hose..

I have to repair the service door on the garage also.. a chicken is sneaking into my shop and laying her eggs under the drill press..

......jiminwisc.........

I see we are still at it, TerriO 11:05 11:13

Last edited:
Quote:
jim that sounds dreamy! is it real? lol

found someone to borrow the money from, setting up our bank account to auto withdraw money to pay it back. renters are getting heat maybe today. ungreatfull pieces of sh!t. we told them that we are raising rent $50 a month to help pay for it, and they said they'll pay it till they find some place else to move to. whine whine whine. we havent raised the rent at all in the last 2 years.
somad.gif
tongue.gif
glad they have been paying the rent for 2 years but I'm paying dang near the same amount for that house and not enjoying it at all. then to add this loan to it? (wheres the smilie giving someone the boot, when you need it?) lol

ok back to schooling lunch break is over

later

Terri O you know where I sit..in the time out corner so I can be a little sneaky and be on the puter and "pretend" I'm working...we know that when patients come in they come first. But I HAVE to get the knowledge so my girls will thrive in 2012! Big goals and I', learning sooo much already.
Terri O- I'm still planning on coming over for some more of your black gold and Nat and I would love to help build or feed and do whatever you need- no gutter cleaning please..I'm a afraid of heights!! I will touch base with you.
Have a great day everyone- thank you for all of the teaching!

Lori

Back
Top Bottom