Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

LOL--Lori you are too sweet! No fear on the gutter cleaning...they fell off the house years ago! I only have them above the horse feeder in the paddock. Barn is better equipped than the house I say. (and that is how it should be!)

I have to make this ANNOUNCEMENT so pay attention! I got a BLUE egg today from mt Ameracaunas!!!!!!!
ya.gif
It is about freakin' time! I said my usual, "so, where are all your eggs today?" to them and then I SAW IT! I am glad I dont have any real close neighbors cause I was whoopin' and hollerin'! So maybe we are on a roll and I WILL have that blue dozen to enter in the fair next year?

OK FLBingo game is starting gotta run! Terri O

I have just a minute.. Annie just left for work and I have the gramma watch..

electric hose is correct.. yes it does exist.. I got it at the stevens point F&F.. It was a gift from my daughter.. It has like a roof type heating element inside a water hose.. just plug it into an electric outlet and it keeps the hose from freezing.. after running water, I usually swing about four feet of the end of the hose to expel the water.. the element does not go all the way to the end of the hose and it will freeze shut for about 10 inches..

I also found that if you coil the hose in a tub and throw a rug or planket on top of it, it helps to keep it from freezing..

I have an outlet close to my outside faucet.. only trouble is that it is a gfi and it is shot.. I have to replace it or run an extension cord..

I cleaned my gutters last week.. a 10 minute job that takes two years to do..

I had a short burst of ambition this morning.. I washed all the chicken waterers with soap and water.. then I fixed the garage service door and put it back on the track.. (it is a sliding door) One of the rollers got knocked off.. another one of those 10 minute jobs that takes two years to do..

rerouted the sump pump cord so I would not run over it when I plow snow.. another 10 min. etc etc..

I am soooo ready for snow,, now just watch, we prolly won't get enough to plow.. break MY heart, eh?

TerriO, two cheers in two days.. you are really on a roll !!
I won't be getting any blue eggs.. I got rid of all the americana..

.........jiminwisc.......

Evening Everyone...wasen't hard to notice that the wind finally died down!

Good to hear that the hatch is going well for broody mom and YOU Ken. It really is fun to watch the babies peek out from under mom's wing! I think they will have a happy home with you guys.

Jim, tell fm to dance for you....then you'll have all the winter you could want. I'm praying for nice weather
frow.gif

My buckeyes are doing great terri....I have 3 handsome boys. If you need one, I have a one to share with you.
They are a breed that has truly nice boys. They really love to roam and find fresh food, they are happiest with their freedom. Congrats on your blue egg. They sure make the country dozen pretty. My blues are nice birds....slow to develop for sure....kinda worth the wait in someways, somehow. They have a language all their own...I call it grunting
idunno.gif
Oh my, this time I spend with the flock is so rewarding in my mind. Glad I still have some of it!

Tomorrow evening I have to go a viewing of the nice childhood neighbor lady that passed. She thought she would make it to 100...made it to 99. I grew up with her sons....some of the best times in my life was spent fishing and hunting rabbits with them as a youth. Watching Jonny Quest and eating buttered popcorn at their house....priceless memories that won't ever be lost. I haven't seen the boys in years. Long hugs for sure, with a good ol slap on the back.

Managed to finally get some new back tires....forgot who mentioned about my lack of a spare....yep this truck is my main wheels and it's nice to have a spare once again. You know...be prepared for the worst and hope for the best....i was in hoping mode for sure for awhile. Seems like a sign of the times with everything costing so much. Money has no value anymore.

I'm listening to Jim Byrnes...Everywhere West good stuff for the ears.

Be Safe, Have Fun, Later...bigz

Good evening--Sorry to hear of your neighbor's passing Brent...I had a man that wanted to make 100. He too died at 99; his wife at 97--they had 73 years of "wedded bliss." I bet you and your old friends will have quite the talk!
Might have to take you up on that BE boy...I will see if mine is OK or not-that will be the determination so dont eat the extras yet! LOL!
Just went through a bunch of old pics to send to a FB account. DD19 says she wants to put them on her wall...I think they are for the slide show at the horse and pony banquet next month....I included a few of the club just in case.
cool.png

GLad the other eggs are sounding off KEN! You will have 4 nice fluffy butts! Pics to come I hope!
Heading out now to close up and then to bed for me...I am beat today. Did a bunch of work and then made dinner too. SOmething I made up with rice, chicken, black beans, lime juice, cilantro, cabbage, fish and soy sauce, sesame oil and tomato juice. It was delish! (sometimes I amaze myself!) LOL!
Sweet dreams all! Terri O

ETA: Jim, does that work with a non-heated hose too? (the coiling in a tub) I am sick of pulling 250' down into the well pit!

Last edited:
I think I may go see if my FF has that hose
love.gif
I hate waterering birds in the winter it's such a pain to haul water from up by the house. by the end of the winter my arms are longer
lau.gif
gig.gif
hehehe I made a funny!
gig.gif
I kill me!
with that I'm gonna go throw my kids in bed and watch me some tv or read??? hmmm thats a tough decision. but tv wins cause I can read when the kids are up, I can't however watch this show when the kids are up. my 2 oldest have off of school tomorrow cause the football team is going to state! YAY! (I really don't care) lol

later

hi all, TerriO , I do not think that coiling a regular hose in a tub would keep it from freezing.. maybe if you put a light bulb in there with it ??
I used to run over 200 feet of garden hose to a batch of chickens in the lower yard.. It was all downhill.. If I drained the hose each time it would not freeze closed..

a couple of times I had frozen hose.. then I would take the propane torch and heat up the hose wherever there was ice. once the water started to run it would shoot out the neatest long round ice chunks..

when I had a couple of cows, I rigged up a long 1 1/2" rigid pvc line on saw horses.. I had a 4 ft piece of hose I stuck into the end of it and ran the water through.. then I would drain the 4 ft hose and the pvc would just drain itself.. it never froze..

I went out at 8pm to see if the coop heater had iked on.. not yet.. the birds are keeping it warm in there yet..

the hanging waterer is not working out.. the bottom keeps dropping off and the water gurgles out.. as much as I hate to, I might just dig out that old galvanized waterer.. hope there are no rust holes in it.. IF I can even find it..

had a liverwurst and raw onion sandwich for supper.. am feeling like an early midnight snack right now..
I could heat up a pizza.. yeah, that's the ticket, pizza and beer..

//////jiminwisc/////////

Quote:
That would have been me. You should know better.
lol.png
hide.gif
I'm glad you finally got a spare. And I am sorry to hear about your neighbor lady.

Quote:
Thank you, Cind. And DrH too. You da best!
hugs.gif
I spent all last winter researching breeds & decided on getting orps & aussies, and so far I'm happy with that choice. But this will be their first winter, so we shall see. I'm still trying to decide if I should get a few Dom hens for my roo or give him to TO. I kinda would rather breed aussies or orps. Oh, and TO, I looked at my 2 Aussie hens and one has really dark eyes while the other has a lighter brown eye. So maybe that one Toby you weren't sure about is a purebred after all? I hope your hen & roo get better soon. And congrats on the blue egg!

I found those Thermocubes on Amazon also, but Menards is $2 cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...2HD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321496925&sr=8-1
And here's a heated hose. Not cheap!
http://www.amazon.com/PIRIT-PWL-02-50-50-Foot-Heated-Hose/dp/B002RYGE4S/ref=pd_sim_ol_54
Jim:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant2-Gallon-Double-9832/dp/B000FJX82S/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ol_32

Sorry about the lost egg, Brandi.
hugs.gif

Awww! Cute peeps, Ken. Congrats! Glad to hear they will soon have company. How exciting! Momma's pretty too.

Lori, sounds like you're going to fit in here just fine.
smile.png
Of course, some people (Jim) might not consider that a good thing.
lau.gif
Get yourself a few hatchery catalogs & start reading up on the breeds. You have all winter, which seems long now, but once you see all the info out there, you'll find you might need that time to make up your mind.

There was a really good episode of Nature on PBS tonight about a guy who raised a clutch of wild turkeys. Very interesting & informative.
That wind sure was nasty today, not to mention cold! I am so glad we got tarps put on the front of the carport the other day. It was a lot nicer in there than it was outside, and I think the chickens agreed. They went outside for a little while but not for long. Thet left me to freeze outside alone as I scrubbed out their waterers, little stinkers. Boy, it is cold in here! I think I will crawl in bed early tonight. Then the cats will pile on and warm me up.
love.gif

Sweet dreams, all! And keep warm.

Back
Top Bottom