Wisconsin "Cheeseheads"

Well, I am finally home. The poor plants are desperate for water, the grass is brown, and no eggs from the chickens yet!

How hot is too hot for chickens to lay?

I've got to go rotate the sprinkler, I'll be on again later!

Ok, soooo, TO was it you or FT who told me about getting a broody wet to break her brood? The rain barrels are all full (sorry BF4) and the water not very cold so in went the broody hen up to her breast, me holding her tight of course! Guess what??? I still have a cranky, broody butt hen that is now finally dried and REALLY ticked off!
somad.gif
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif
lau.gif

She was so mad she tried to beat my little dog up and all the other hens are running when they see her coming!
hide.gif

MUSTLOVEHENS~next I am going to try to find someone with a cage I can borrow, then if that doesn't work......
TIKI244~ how many ice cubes?
ep.gif

Now a question for all you knowledgeable folks~ never hit this before sooooo, what happens if I can't break her brood? Will she break it herself when the days get shorter, when she molts, never?

Vicki...i don't break the broods...however folks that dunk the chickens, dunk them completely under the water...shocking them into breaking the broody instinct....no need to bother with the cage...under cold water all the way....the reason I don't do it....doesn't mean I'm right....just sayin., I give em eggs and let em be happy. You just gotta love chicken math.

bigz

Hi BigZ
frow.gif
I would love to just let her sit but first, it's getting a bit late to start with babies and 2nd I'm having trouble finding something for her to sit on
sad.png
otherwise I just might let her go at it.

How can you dunk them completely under and not risk them sucking in water?
ep.gif
I think maybe I will give one more try at talking my neighbor out of some eggs. She has two roos, each with their own flock. The young one has hens from the same place mine came from. With her roo it could be an interesting mix. hmmmmmmmmm.

Only update I have tonight is that I started a FB page on getting the word out to change the ordinance and I THINK I have found homes for all the ducks..... temporary housing for the trio of adults and permanent homes for the 10 babies.

Feeling a little under the weather..... so the drive down to Madison is really going to suck.

Back to my book I guess..... anybody read Map of Time? It has been a fantastic read!

I know all about dog license.. I go back to when it was not such a big deal to not have one.. that is what I am saying.. the younger generation was born into the system as we have it today.. those of us of the older persuasion saw the freedoms as they fell by the wayside..

when was the last time any of you under 35 yrs old had a ride home from a cop because you were not fit to drive ? (or any of your friends) ? and then the next day the cop comes and gives you a ride back to your car ? do any of you even know a cop today ? If yes, ask him where his hometown is.. I'll bet it is nowhere near where he patrols ..

There is no money in raising chickens.. why burden the situation even more with licenses ? taxes ? raising a few chickens is your right,, you should not have to jump through hoops to do it..

IMHO...........jiminwisc..........

things have been pretty lively around here today.. I delivered 50 keets to Marlene.. picked up a lift chair for gramma.. while I was gone, Annie spotted the peahen walking with her new chick.. I haven't seen them yet.. One of the guineas showed up with 14 babies this morning.. she is inside the chicken yard with them and her rooster.. we are going to let her try to raise them.. so far she is keeping them all with her.. she led them up to the other chicken yard to feed them.. that was a hoot.. those two guineas kept about 100 chickens away from the feed so that their babies could eat undisturbed..

went to F&F and bought a new air cleaner for the tiller.. picked up some sanding belts for the sander.. I will use them for sharpening the lawn mower blades.. (on the flat sides) I sharpen from both sides ..

..........jiminwisc............
you are right on the money with this, we know at least half a dozen officers and none of them live in the area they patrol and out of all of them only 1 gave us a personal cell number and email.

Back
Top Bottom