Wish me luck!! (need help!! Questions posts #1&6)

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I just received the Texas A&M white cortunix quail eggs I got off eBay!!
yippiechickie.gif

I know I should let them set for 24 hours before setting them in the bator. Do I need to candle them? What else should I do to them?

Last edited:
I know there are people who candle the eggs after letting them set to see if the air cell is damaged or not or if there are cracks in the shells. But i never have. I just put them in and candle around day 7 and then it is easier to see what is what for me. Good Luck!!

New question...There are 2 that the shells look kind of...oh idk...i guess 'cloudy' would be a good way to desribe it. Or maybe chalky would be better? Anyway, is this normal? There are 2 that look like this.

Quote:
mmm... I'm not really sure. I have heard that when you candle it on like day 3-4, a shadow may be there from the chick forming, and later on around day 7 you notice veins if anything is growing in there!
wink.png
Here's a post that JMajors posted in a recent topic about candling eggs:(THANKS FOR THE AWESOME LINKS, JMAJORS!!!
big_smile.png
)

Last edited:
and, like other people said, I would wait until like day 7 before candling. But when you first get them, candle to check for cracks. If there are any cracks, throw them out(hopefully there won't be any!
tongue.png
)

Good luck!
fl.gif

Definitely look them over for cracks... "look" at them with your fingertips to feel any chips. Coturnix are hard to candle, so your best bet is to look them over carefully. Let them come up to room temp for 4-6 hours before putting them in the incubator.

Because they have a 16 day incubation period, they develop rather quickly. If you can candle one (use a very strong penlight on the big end of the egg) before you incubate, you will notice that the light shines throughout the egg, illuminating it. By day 4-5 you'll start to see a reddish tint. I don't think I've ever been able to see an actual embryo in there, but by day 7-10 your egg should be fairly dark, with only the airsac showing clear. If, at day 10, your egg still illuminates completely when candled, it isn't going to hatch.

Generally, I put them in the hatcher and bump up the humidity to 75% on day 14, say a Hail Mary! and wait to see what happens.
smile.png
Usually late day 16 you'll find a little pip. Then a few hours later, more pips. Then, as if by silent gunshot, they'll ALL start zipping at once, racing eachother out.
lol.png
It's so much fun to watch.

hugs.gif
Good luck!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom