Wish Us Luck!!! Moved my Keets today.

Cow Chips

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2016
Clayton NM
So, I kept my Keets in our big shop for the past 5 weeks. They were born July 5 and I've babied them the whole time (started with 17, 2 DOA, 2 gone the day after they arrived, 1 I fed with a syringe but he was injured. Ended up with 12. There's a post on that farther down...)
Anyway, the remaining 12, including my fave formerly curled toe named Dumbledore, were moved into their new digs today! We converted one of our pig pens into Fort Clucks and divided that into a section for the Keets today. The hens are not happy about their new neighbors but everyone is divided up, the Keets are safe and have ample space to roam or hide, and I'll feed the hens extra treats and they'll get over it.
The Keets on the other hand....ill be worried about them until I can check on them in the morning! They did come out and eat/drink a bit but now that they're out of the cozy confines of their brooder box, I could use some suggestions on how to win back their trust. Theyve always avoided me but I want to keep them somewhat domestic and locked up at night.
I'd like to keep them in their separated area for at least 4 more weeks (they'd be 10 weeks by then) before I let them out into the big kid playground and free ranging. My worry is if I wait too long, the temps will dip and they won't get their free range time in. My hens are out from noon till about 7:30 waiting for their food.
Tips? Hints? I've got millet in the pantry ready to go! What else can I do?

Mine free range in the snow, so I wouldn't worry about the temp factor. You could give them a few days and then each day let 3 or 4 out with the chickens. They won't wander too far and they'll want to be with their flock for the night. I personally start free ranging my guineas within a few weeks of hatch. They integrate quickly with the chickens and turkeys and are better behaved because of it. They still have the paranoid flightiness inherent to being a guinea, but it's turned down quite as few notches. My two that were raised with the turkeys come up to me and hop on me. I can get a quick pat in without too much freaking out lol.

That's great! Went to check on them this morning - still not used to it all but they at least hopped up on top of the nesting boxes and a few tried out the makeshift roosting ladder. The chickens are curious but ignored them pretty quickly. Funny enough, the one hen who has always been a loner is the one who stayed behind in the chicken coop. I think/hope she's going to be the surrogate feather momma. :) I did consider putting them out earlier but we went camping a few times and there's no access to electricity for a heating lamp.

That's great! Went to check on them this morning - still not used to it all but they at least hopped up on top of the nesting boxes and a few tried out the makeshift roosting ladder. The chickens are curious but ignored them pretty quickly. Funny enough, the one hen who has always been a loner is the one who stayed behind in the chicken coop. I think/hope she's going to be the surrogate feather momma. :) I did consider putting them out earlier but we went camping a few times and there's no access to electricity for a heating lamp.

Check out the wool hen thread in the raising chicks section. I know you don't need it now but it's a good idea for the future.

Back
Top Bottom