Wish us luck!

Uniqueusername

Chirping
Sep 3, 2020
Central Mississippi
1600869418978.png

Our first chicks just arrived! All look sound and are enjoying the cozy coop already. Let the adventure begin.

looks so clean lol .. i would plan over the next week to install a removeable bottom (like cardboard) with sides high enough to keep them kicking out material such as hay or pine shavings .. things are gonna get messy .. fast .. the key to less stress is making it easy to deal with quickly .. so thats my tip and good luck with your chickys ..

Thnx for the tips! Temp is being monitored and is quite comfy. Took them about an hour to get warmed up and start attacking the food and water. They’re already very active and jumping, eating/drinking, climbing, & running around checking things out.

Thnx MrFluffy! We went w/ a mixed bag...of Easter-eggers, New Hampshire Reds, and White Leghorns. We had a hard time locating local chicks available in the timeframe that we wanted, so we went w/ an online option. By all accounts, these 3 breeds are solid in warm temps (we’re in the south), have good temperaments, and are sound egg-layers that offer white/brown/colored variety. We’re just so appreciative of all the advice from this forum. As first timers, we have (and will continue to) learn so much from all of you who are kind enough to share your experiences.

Congrats!

I’m interested in hearing what you think of the cozy coop for a brooder heater! Mine just arrived for my small coop (only 3 hens) for the winter. But would be handy to use it in a brooder if it work well!

Enjoy the chicks!!

Quick update: so far so good! Chicks are growing quickly and happily. We have 3 of the 7 who are already extremely affectionate and run up to be petted. Added a 2nd perch & they’re loving it. Only had 1 pasty butt situation so far, but wasn’t too bad. The cozy coop has been great as a heat source! Lows have only gotten into the mid 40’s at worst, and mostly hovered around mid/low 50’s for the last few weeks, so I can’t speak to how it would perform in cold climates. Coop/run finished this weekend! I’ll post pics of them in a more appropriate thread. Thanks again for all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom