Witch Hazel for Prolapse?

I just checked on her again. She is outside eating and having fun with the flock. Her backend looks great. I'm so happy about this! :)
I am so very happy for you ( and for your chicken )...I always use honey and have had great results...just keep a keen eye on her ( as I know you will )...

Best wishes to you both!

Friends, hope someone can offer suggestions. A few months ago one of my Wyandottes had a prolapsed vent. The red hemorrhoid-looking thing was sticking out. I cleaned her, used Witch Hazel, pushed it back in, used Prep.-H two times in one day. I also sprayed BlueKote on the area. Everything went great until today. She again has picked off the feathers on her butt and instead of the red blob, there is a long, white, ropey looking thing hanging out.

I did a repeat of everything I did before, but every time she squats to poop the white thing comes out again. I have not tried Epsom Salts in the past nor have I tried honey.

What is the long, white thing? Anybody know?

Can you take a picture?

Yes I will, but can't be until tomorrow. (if it is sticking out again) I just brought her up to the house again and repeated everything. The white stringy thing was not sticking out as far from her vent. I put it back in and held her awhile. It is not preventing her from pooping. And, she is eating and drinking. If it continues, I will separate her for a while, and, hold her feed and continue to treat. I may try the honey. Say a little prayer!

I had a pullet that just started laying get egg bound, with the egg still in skin, yet hanging out of her vent. I managed to get the egg out, cleaned her up, & put her on antibiotics & kept her in a dark room. I used prep-h & antibiotic ointment. The skin that was hanging out never stayed in, it died & I had to cut it off. But she's doing fine now!

I had a pullet that just started laying get egg bound, with the egg still in skin, yet hanging out of her vent. I managed to get the egg out, cleaned her up, & put her on antibiotics & kept her in a dark room. I used prep-h & antibiotic ointment. The skin that was hanging out never stayed in, it died & I had to cut it off. But she's doing fine now!

Great job!

If she laid internally, it's possible she could do it again. Be sure and monitor her for odd behavior.

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom