With abundant hens will cock call?

Tippler

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
Desert Hills (PHX)
... I feel bad for what I have done and need a solution.
I suppose I got these birds with some ignorance on my part.
Now the good news.
I have 3 neighbors property who touch mine. 1 is just a corner. 1 who lives behind me who's yard my birds now rummage in late in the evening.These neighbors at one point had a couple peafowl as well. The other neighbor considered getting some himself.
I live in horse land so plenty of chickens and other farm animals. I know of someone 2 miles north with peafowl as well.
My point in saying all that is at the very least I will keep the birds as it is not a huge problem.
Now the problem. I have these birds settled in and they now range. Not completely free through if they choose they can.
Sometimes at night they go to roost in a large Palo Verde tree which is good and gives them great protection from the coyotes out here. In the morning at the crack of dawn it seems like my two cocks will leave the hen and go lurk and then the hen starts up as you could probably imagine. Will that stop? Why does she squeak when they are 20 feet away and she can see them clearly? =]
I have 2 cocks and a hen. 1 cock and hen are clutch mates all three are just shy of a year. She seems to be more protective/connected to the unrelated cock which seems odd. Perhaps they have already formed a bond?

Okay so my main questions. Will the separation squeak stop? If I get more hens say 3 so I have 2 trios would the males still call up the whole town when they come of age?

I suppose this is not a huge deal as so far, at least no one has complained yet. My main problem is the very early morning noise.
Do cocks do this when they reach maturity early as well?
Thankfully this is a market here for peafowl, and like I said if nothing works out they will be taken care of by me and my neighbors will have to deal.

I hope my post was clear enough, any questions ask.
Thanks

As a quick answer to your question, they will continue to call out each year when spring comes and will last through most of the summer. They will call for a mate, when startled, or for general communication. There is not a good way to stop the noise, and most either love it or are annoyed by it. Myself, I can't wait. If your birds free range, it is not out of the question your birds will visit nearby farms with peafowl or other peafowl may visit you. Good luck

Peafowl like to stick together and stay in groups. Your peacocks might be wandering off to hang out and your peahen is just saying "Hey wait up, don't leave me!" You might want to get at least one more peahen for your guys. It is better to have more peahens then more peacocks. The calling is something you can't really stop like 6littlechickies said. The fact that you have other people raising peafowl in the area might be a reason your peacocks call at night. They will call from their roost to peafowl miles away and also like 6littlechickies said you might end up having other peafowl show up in your yard. I haven't had that experience, but I know a breeder who said some days she will walk outside and she will count more peafowl then what she owns. Other days she said some will be missing because they are in the woods wandering around or they are visiting a neighbor.

It is always good to have neighbors who are fine with peafowl. It makes having peafowl a lot more enjoyable when you can talk to the neighbor about them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom