with Ike on it's way I have a "Q"

pimpdaddywrinkles

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
with Ike on it's way to TX I was wondering if chickens can swim at all?

How dose one go about protecting the flocked in such events?

I think I would just open the doors and let them range if I had to evacuate. or is this a bad idea?

A-

Last edited:
What i do is put some perches high enough so if the water does rise in the coop they can get up and stay dry. Where we live we get a tidal surge but no waves battering the coop or anything, therefore i am not worried about the coop getting smashed up. We do get winds and i can tell you. We have already had higher winds here today from IKE than when GUSTAV hit a couple of weeks ago. The water is 4-5 foot above normal tides way over here in MOBILE. I can't even imagine what is about to happen to GALVESTON. But yeah my chickesn could make it i feel. I put a make shift feeder up there and waterer up high. on a piece of plywood that they can walk on from their perches to eat and drink if the water gets up to about 4 foot in the coop. My slab on the cop is around 11 foot. So i could take a 15 foot surge probably. But from what i here G-town is getting a 20 foot surge. Katrina put more than that in Waveland, MS, just to give everybody a perspective of what these cyclones can do!!

RASTACHICKI,

Jah Love!
smile.png

I have lived through a few hurricanes with cattle but never with this kind of surge, 20 ft is huge! heck 10 ft is HUGE too.

I'm in Canada now and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with a potential 4 ft of snow this year.

But being the inquisitive type I thought I would ask about the flood and evacuation.

you stay dry now!

Thanks,
A-

Pimpdaddy, are you in Houston area? I will pray for you... I saw the predictions on the news this morning, and I think you are in for quite a rain storm this weekend. Keep the chickens up high and sealed in good.

Hey There!

Well being from Florida and only about 8 miles from the coast near Cape Canaveral we have had our share of storms here even with Fay just being a Tropical Storm we had about 4 feet of water flood our coop. We had them way up so as well we just lifed the feeders up to a place it would not fall and they all stayed up there until we could get them out.

There are too many things flying around in these storms that could harm your babies! so keep them locked up tight and up high off the ground!

We are praying for Texas! Stay Safe!

Back
Top Bottom