With much sadness

WindingRoad

Crowing
Nov 21, 2018
Maine
I think I want to give up my chickens. I am having a hard time finding chicken sitters. I live in New Portland. Not many people around here. I have a high school fellow who's watched them a couple of times. They are alive when I get back but I can tell he doesn't feed them well. Hardly any feed gone. I left out 10 gallons of water for 8 day and it looks like he might have used 1.5 gallons. Nobody takes as good care of your babies as you do.
So here's the scoop:
2 Pullets SLW. approx 36 weeks old. Laid all winter medium to large cream colored eggs. Daily
2 Hen approx. 18 months old BO and ISABROWN. Laid daily all winter might have missed maybe 5 days all winter. They lay large brown eggs. ISAB was attacked by dog before I got her. She is missing feathers on back of upper neck. Never grew back but she has no problems.
They lived in hen house all winter here in West Central Maine. I put and still have clear tarp around run. Pre-fab TSC coop. Coop probably too small for them but no overt pecking. They eat pellets, scratch, and mealworms Twice a day.
I have Rent-a- Coop feeder with two stations. Didn't use is during winter as I couldn't get in the run. They drink about a pint of water a day. I kept in filled every 2-3 hours as I am retired and have lots of time.

As I said above Pre-fab coop. probably 5x8 run. And 4x3 coop with 3 nest boxes, two roosts they don't use and pull out poop board.

Supplies. Approx. 20 lbs 16% protein pellets. Appox 40 lbs scratch. 15+ lbs mealworms in nice heavy duty plastic bags. 3/4 of a bag of PDZ. Large unopened bag of hemp bedding. 3/4 bale of straw bedding and half a bale of fine pine shavings. 2 Gallon galvanized waterer. and base heater which kept water UNFROZEN outside all winter. And you can put plastic gallon Arizona ice tea jugs on it to keep them from freezing. Also about 5 pounds of OS.

Make me an offer. I might have forgotten something but if you come by we can check.

Thanks. I'd rather sell here than Craigslist.

ETA: No bumble foot, no scaly leg mites. No body lice or mites. No sour or impacted crops. I don't know if they were vaccinated for Maerk's BO has missing feathers on her bottom area because she sleeps in a nest box and won't keep the bedding in there.

I think I want to give up my chickens. I am having a hard time finding chicken sitters. I live in New Portland. Not many people around here. I have a high school fellow who's watched them a couple of times. They are alive when I get back but I can tell he doesn't feed them well. Hardly any feed gone. I left out 10 gallons of water for 8 day and it looks like he might have used 1.5 gallons. Nobody takes as good care of your babies as you do.
So here's the scoop:
2 Pullets SLW. approx 36 weeks old. Laid all winter medium to large cream colored eggs. Daily
2 Hen approx. 18 months old BO and ISABROWN. Laid daily all winter might have missed maybe 5 days all winter. They lay large brown eggs. ISAB was attacked by dog before I got her. She is missing feathers on back of upper neck. Never grew back but she has no problems.
They lived in hen house all winter here in West Central Maine. I put and still have clear tarp around run. Pre-fab TSC coop. Coop probably too small for them but no overt pecking. They eat pellets, scratch, and mealworms Twice a day.
I have Rent-a- Coop feeder with two stations. Didn't use is during winter as I couldn't get in the run. They drink about a pint of water a day. I kept in filled every 2-3 hours as I am retired and have lots of time.

As I said above Pre-fab coop. probably 5x8 run. And 4x3 coop with 3 nest boxes, two roosts they don't use and pull out poop board.

Supplies. Approx. 20 lbs 16% protein pellets. Appox 40 lbs scratch. 15+ lbs mealworms in nice heavy duty plastic bags. 3/4 of a bag of PDZ. Large unopened bag of hemp bedding. 3/4 bale of straw bedding and half a bale of fine pine shavings. 2 Gallon galvanized waterer. and base heater which kept water UNFROZEN outside all winter. And you can put plastic gallon Arizona ice tea jugs on it to keep them from freezing. Also about 5 pounds of OS.

Make me an offer. I might have forgotten something but if you come by we can check.

Thanks. I'd rather sell here than Craigslist.

ETA: No bumble foot, no scaly leg mites. No body lice or mites. No sour or impacted crops. I don't know if they were vaccinated for Maerk's BO has missing feathers on her bottom area because she sleeps in a nest box and won't keep the bedding in there.
Good news I am not getting rid of my chickens. A lady down the road has a big flock. Probably around 20-30 chickens. She has a fenced, with electric, large run with a tractor in it. She also has a very large winter coop and will house my 4 birds there for the week I am gone to Calgary for the Stampede. I will pay her for feed ( or bring my own). I have two small metal lockable cans. And of course for her time. Maybe I can barter taking care of her chickens for future vacations. She seems very responsible and her chickens look very healthy. Mine will be in a separate area so both flocks will be safe from any diseases etc.

Back
Top Bottom