with storm coming, let hens out?

Leah S

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 13, 2011
Good morning all! hope those of you here in NE are ready for the storm! Here in MA it's not going to get nasty until this afternoon. should I let my girls out this AM? will they know to get back to the coop, or am I going to be gathering them from under trees and such favorite places to be during the day? what are you doing to make sure your flock is ready? We have food, some treats and water all set. they have a window that is closed and doors locked. It would be nice to let them run around before being locked up for a while, which I have never done. What would you guys do?
Leah S

I plan to let them make the decision. Going to let them out shortly. There is a little patch of small pines they like to hang out under and they can go under the coop to get out of the wind or go back inside. I approach it as if they were wild and let them decide what is best for them by giving them options. My biggest fear is keeping them locked up in the coop and one of my giant pines(100 footers) falls on it killing them all.

I'm also going to let them make their own decision. I put them in last night but I'm going to open the coop into the pen. I'll lock them in tonight though. Good luck to all. Hope we all get through this with the least amount of damage.

I live in NH ............. I made the decision for them. I am opting to keep them sheltered from driving wind and rain and keeping them indoors. Better safe than sorry.

I live on the coast of Rhode Island. I am letting them out of the coop, but not out of the pen. I don't want them blowing through the yard!
D.gif

looking out the window and it's really windy! MAde up my mind to keep them in. it's a roomy coop and they should be fine!! Praying that this storm is not as bad as they are predicting.

i don't have any experience with hurricanes..... i will say this, i was visiting a friend in an area of the country that the wind is always blowing/gusting.... i noticed that nobody in the area had chickens... i asked him about it and he said, alot of people gave up on them because when they let them out they wouldn't come back if it got to windy......... don't know if this is true or not....... i do have lots and lots of experience with rain, let em out!!...... good luck and be safe all you guys on the east coast..........

Back
Top Bottom