With what do you scoop your poop?!

I have a dirt run and mostly just tractor the birds around. But if I do scoop, I use a shovel.

As for what to do with the poo, I bet if you put up a sign people would come and get it! Chicken poo is a GREAT fertilizer. Just tell potentials that it needs to be aged.

I tried to post a pic from photobucket but it's been so long that I forgot how to....darn!
Okay what I use is a barn rake prob. for horse poop but I line it with fencing cloth so that it catches chicken poop in the sand.
I use a cat scoop for small jobs. If someone would tell me how to post a pic (from scratch) I'll show you the rake that I used.
Hoping this works.

278_manure_rake.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think with a sand floor a person could get a snow shovel and drill holes in it like a sieve and use it to sift. Just like a big cat litter scooper!
smile.png

I free range, so all of our poop is concentrated under the roosts and is very dry. We just move the roosts, scoop into a bucket and redistribute onto compost pile or edge of garden....where the gross dogs eat it like snacks!
sickbyc.gif

Funny you should post this. Tomorrow we are changing from shavings to fine play sand in our pens...probably what you folks call coops. They don't look like ya'll's "chicken houses" though! Very open and plain so the breeze can keep them cooled off.

Anyway...my daughter raked them completely out today and we are going to put down weed stop cloth followed by about 3 inches of sand. Ya'll know they will dig to China, so we have to put the cloth down to stop that, but at the same time water needs to be able to flow through if it should rain in some...or someone spills some of the water inside.

We were just discussing how to clean out the poop today. I'm going to get a shavings fork and wire some metal screening material onto it. HOpe it works. Wish I could get a snow shovel down here and drill holes. That sounds like a great idea!

I use a leaf rake to rake up the stems of the plants I throw them and then a flat shovel. We have a dirt run. I want to get some electric poultry wire and build a free range coop.

Maybe in the spring!
jumpy.gif

I use a rubber glove & my hands for the coop - quite effective so far to just grab the bigger poo piles under their roosting spots (as someone else said, "good thing the roost runs the length of the coop so that they can cram themselves onto 18 inches of it").

For the run I haven't had to bother yet. My girls FR in the backyard when we're home. I just hose off the patio & walkway when it gets gross.

Back
Top Bottom