Without Power!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Quail_Antwerp, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Hey guys, just checking in. Ike sent a nasty storm up to our area, and we had some tornadoes and high winds...to sum it up our power was knocked out Sunday night and we have not yet got it back on. I am down at a library using their computers and internet so I could hop on here and answer messages.

Worst thing that has happened is a tornado went through the woods my parents own across the street from us. The next morning (Monday) my parents told us to help ourselves to the wood. Tuesday my hubby was down there sawing up the logs and tree tops, and a large oak fell on him. It hit another log, bounced off him, and he tried to roll away from it. His left foot was wedged under another log so when he rolled out he twisted his ankle the wrong way and badly sprained it. He has a horrible red mark on his chest where the tree hit him. He is doing ok, just really sore and now has a chest cold settling in on him so I now have to watch him for pneumonia.

Other than that things are ok, just impatiently waiting to have electric again. The kids have made it into a great adventure, since we have been doing all of our cooking outside over open fires. They have turned it into a great week long adventure for themselves.

Hope to be back to online, powered up, and talking to ya'll about chickens (who are totally unaware, btw LOL) next week!!

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] You guys be careful!!!

And my first thought was OMG!!! You have eggs in the bator... [​IMG] best thing ever when a broody can do it, eh? [​IMG]

Hope your hubby recovers quickly and wholly. [​IMG]

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Thank goodness DH is okay. Take care of yourselves. Bet the kids are enjoying the adventure.

4. peapickinchicks

peapickinchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, KY
    [​IMG], I'll be praying for you and your family. Praise God your DH is Okay, count your blessings, I have been seeing reports of folks loosing there lives and limbs while cutting on trees after these storms.

5. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Bummer Quail! I have seen my DH have to run from trees that feel wrong. That's a scary thing to have happen!

6. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope you get power back soon... I know a lot of people around here are still without it. We definitely had some nasty weather Sunday evening. I'm so glad that your DH is ok! Things like that can sure be scary! I'm glad to hear that the kids are making an adventure of it! They're probably remember this forever! [​IMG]

7. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Sorry about your hubby, so glad he's going to be ok and it wasn't worse. Glad you came through the storms in good condition and your chickens aren't stressed out.

8. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I hope you get your power back on soon! There are some here in Baton Rouge, LA and the surrounding area that still don’t have power back on from hurricane Gustav. Being with out it for a week was plenty enough for me…I feel so bad for those still without.

Wow about your husband…Thank the Lord he was not seriously hurt! I know you said that his ankle was badly sprained but if he can he should try and walk…that will help his lungs. When my husband had his stem cell transplant, even when he was feeling so sick we had to make him get up and walk so that he would not get pneumonia. Talk about made me feel like a big bully…but he did not get pneumonia.

Kids are such a blessing! Like someone else said, this will most likely be a life long memory for them.

God bless.
    Mitzi

9. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Power is back on YAY!!!! We got it back roughly 2 -2 1/2 hours ago. First thing I did was scrub the freezer and fridge out. We lost an entire freezer full of food, even though we were trying to cook up as much as we could. Couldn't get it all cooked though.

Hubby is fine. Was really sore the first few days, but he is staying on his feet, walking and doing what he can.

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

[​IMG] You guys be careful!!!

And my first thought was OMG!!! You have eggs in the bator... [​IMG] best thing ever when a broody can do it, eh? [​IMG]

Hope your hubby recovers quickly and wholly. [​IMG]

Hubby is doing well, and broody went to setting three days ago! I hope she didn't wait too long to do it. The eggs I got from you have been with her for a week and 1 day now, but she didn't start setting until about 4 days after she got them. She doesn't come of the nest for anything, excpet when I give her fresh feed and change her water. She runs off the nest, grabs a few bites and a drink, craps something awful! and runs back in [​IMG] Thankfully I am not having to make her leave for food and water , yet anyway LOL

Closest I can figure, should be hatching second week of October [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by