Wits end near

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jnjross, Nov 5, 2008.

1. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    [​IMG] well they keep cutting mein hen to shreds, i made her a saddle and they still bloody her up, they won't let her eat, today i found mein crumpled behind the feed box barely alive, i took her out and put her on the porch with snacks and water, she drank a cat bowl of water, poor girl. I couldn't figure out what to do with them so i opened the door and let them out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would separate her for awhile. How many roos do you have?

3. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Who is tearing her up? Roosters? Hens? If it's roos you probably have too many. You only want about 1 roo to 8-10 hens. If it's hens then they are probably picking at the wounds she already has. Once a chicken gets injured the others are attracted to the red blood and the skin showing and peck out of curiousity. They can end up killing each other over it. You need to seperate any injured chickens until they are fully healed.

4. jnjross

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    roo i have 10 and 7 girls , mein is the dom hen, i'm really trying to get rid of the roos, just no one close who wants them, they're bbs orpington

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    You have to set up a bachelor pad and keep the roos away from her- that's way too many roos for that number of girls.

6. jnjross

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    yeah that's just how they hatched thou, rehome roos is extremely difficult

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I gave away six of my seven bbs Orpington roosters with no questions asked about what would happen to them. You can't be too choosy when you have an excess of roosters. You only need to keep your best one for those seven hens.

8. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would be having chicken for dinner.

9. jnjross

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    joe, i'm no question asked!!! everyone who has responded to my ads live too far!

i can kill again! i have 5 in the freezer now DH won't eat them

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  10. Morning Dove

Morning Dove Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    Time to butcher your roos.... at least that's what I did with mine. I started with 7 roos and only 2 hens...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by