Wit's End!!

girlsrock

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 19, 2013
I have been caring for my 2yr hen for 3weeks now. Started with worming, no change. Gave kefir, slight change and was hopeful. She has had her comb go from normal to pale, back to red almost to dark, then now pale. Always limp though. Her droppings consistantly green, loose with cottage cheese like matter. She passed a rather large mass thought to be from infection. Seemed to rally then get weak again. Gave her vitamins & treated her bottom as it was red from all these loose droppings. She has lost so much weight. Several times we would have put her out if her misery but she seemed to always try to rally. Also had to treat her for bumblefoot!Forgot about that! Seemed to be better and I was so hopeful. Now she barely eats. I wondered if I should treat for worms again as I am out of ideas. Worried she's to weak for that but just don't kniw anymore. Have read so much, thrush, worms, etc.....just dont know. She's all bone, but still coo's when andI talk to her. Honestly I don't know how she is still alive and I don't want to give up but 3weeks? Is that even normal? Never had a sick bird before. Please advice.....anyone?!

Was the mass she passed possibly reproductive tissue or egg tissue from internal egg laying? What did it look like? Has she stopped laying? What were her first symptoms at the beginning of all this?

Thank you so much for asking!! She seemed to stay away from the flock when I put them out to range. At nite I noticed she roosted alone. I thought she was broody a few times b/c she fluffed up and was laying down. One morning I went out and she was in the run with her hehetad under the ramp to the hen house. I picked her up (this would be 8/11) she was very quiet, weak and light. There was an egg laid previously that could have been hers that was paper thin. Since The 11th she has not laid any eggs. I wormed her but never had b/4 so I just wasn't sure if I had done it correctly or if she had gotten enough. After process of elimination I thought maybe sour crop. I gave her the kefir milk and a few days later noticed the pale yellow rubbery mass about the size of a large grape. I asked on forum what it could be. Someone said probably infection. If she has internal laying I don't know about that. But there have no eggs for at least 3weeks. Sometimes yellow in watery poo, never any solid droppings since I discoveted het ill.

Mass looks like it could have been internal egg laying issue! What I've read isnt good. 3weeks no eggs, very thin, watery green/white or yellow/white diareha......cull? So sweet but what else could I do for her? Ideas? Info?

If you just search internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis at the top of the page there will be many threads with pictures of all of the strange things that come out of chickens. Speckled Hen who was a former moderator has some good threads on these topics.

Thank you I'lldo that. I have been searching & not finding enough photos. I have photos but not sure how to upload to this site. She's still alive & sleeping on my lap while I have my coffee, just know she's extremely sick. 3weeks now! She's a trooper! Fairly quiet but I dont see how this can continue as she's all bone & unsteady on het feet. Just wish I knew what's going on to know right action to take. Thank you so much.

Back
Top Bottom