Wizbang Chicken Plucker

Thanks for answering, just got back. I haven't had a chance to really look at everything but I will tomorrow. Right now "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" ice cream and a Guiness Stout are calling.

You might want to try a 15 gal teet dip barrel. I used a 14 inch feather plate with ten fingers. Another 4 on the sides of the barrel. Then I made some from bungies, about 10-- all put on the sides of the barrel. 12 inch pulley and powered it by a 5 hp honda motor. It works good I just do one chicken at a time. The 4-5 lb'ers are perfect. The big ten pounders need to by fliped by hand a little bit. it is just a scaled down version. The best part is I do not even have 50 bucks in it. It works so good I am planning on 3 batches of 50 broilers for next year. Hand plucking is for the birds. Next project is a scalder (metal stock tank and an oil burner)

could some one please post a few pics of your home made pluckers

sam208

I think one of you should make a informative "how to make a whizbang plucker" video and sell it.
I'd buy it. I don't think I could do it without some visuals.

I bought a tabletop plucker, but it stalls out easily. If I put too much pressure on the fingers it stops.

I ended up finishing them off by hand.

I'd love to see your finished product and see how it works! We had to replace our washer last year and the old one is sitting outside the woodshed just waiting to be turned into a plucker. Hubby is very mechanically inclined, but not familiar with pluckers, per se, so good instruction is what he needs, and he says he'll build me a plucker!

Quote:

Quote:
You can buy the book by the inventor from his website for about $20. It is very well illustrated and explains it perfectly, even if you know nothing about construction or mechanics. Honestly, it's much better than a video could ever be, unless your video was about 10 hours long.

I spent about $275.00 and I had the motor. I have rented it out on craigslist over the last year for $40.00 per weekend and have made over $400 so far. Get the plans, they are very easy to follow.
I do about 100 birds per year and mine has now plucked over 1000 in the last year and is still going strong. I would never go back to doing it by hand.

4969_whizbang.jpg

Good luck

Really? Geez I can't even figure out my IPOD. Ok I will buy the book! Thanks for the encouragement.

And BTW that is really nice. You did a great job.

Quote:
I'm glad to hear the cones are working for you! You CAN make this. I had virtually no experience with anything mechanical, and very basic wood construction skills. This book spells EVERYTHING out, right down to where to get everything, the model/part numbers from the stores, etc. I was afraid it would be tough, but it's not bad at all.

Back
Top Bottom