WK #3

Things that can change over the course of a year is the calibration of the hygrometer. The hygrometer should be calibrated again every year.

The ambient conditions can also change. If you had higher ambient humidity last year, you would have needed to add less water. If the ambient humidity is lower this year, you will need to add more water.

The big one is the calibration.
Good point; same month, same rm, AC on, RH 46%, So all of those are the same. The most reliable T/H I had last yr was a manual one; it gave up the ghost so I got a new one.
I salt calibrated and did ice test again after Singleton was done cuddling w/it. I've added another litle jar and have humidity up to 66% now.
I went back & read again, I had 6 eggs at lockdown last yr., 5 this time. Would that make a diff?
There doesn't appear to be a true vent on Brinsea eco II, but I think I have a small enough funnel that I can wedge into the top & let it dribble into the containers if they dry out and it drops.
I think I'll try the next lockdown in the other unit.
Thanks for your help.

Good point; same month, same rm, AC on, RH 46%, So all of those are the same. The most reliable T/H I had last yr was a manual one; it gave up the ghost so I got a new one.
I salt calibrated and did ice test again after Singleton was done cuddling w/it. I've added another litle jar and have humidity up to 66% now.
I went back & read again, I had 6 eggs at lockdown last yr., 5 this time. Would that make a diff?
There doesn't appear to be a true vent on Brinsea eco II, but I think I have a small enough funnel that I can wedge into the top & let it dribble into the containers if they dry out and it drops.
I think I'll try the next lockdown in the other unit.
Thanks for your help.
I got a Brinsea Eco mini as a hatcher for small hatches, and it is tough to keep humidity up in that thing. I have the slits covered in tape, the reservoir full of water, plus I add a (new, clean) sponge piece that’s on a plastic lid of water. Get the sponge damp first, then add water to the lid to act as it’s own reservoir. I aim for 60-70% humidity at lockdown.

Sydney, since you’ve had so many challenges here lately, think about reading the BYCs guide of hatching intervention. Write down when each egg pips. If willing to intervene, I’d help once they’ve been externally pipped for 24 hr. If you go in through the aircell (not the pip) and are careful, you’re unlikely to worsen their outcome. Let me know if you need assistance and I’ll tag CluckNDoodle in hopes she’s around to help. She’s been fantastic at intervening when needed.

I got a Brinsea Eco mini as a hatcher for small hatches, and it is tough to keep humidity up in that thing. I have the slits covered in tape, the reservoir full of water, plus I add a (new, clean) sponge piece that’s on a plastic lid of water. Get the sponge damp first, then add water to the lid to act as it’s own reservoir. I aim for 60-70% humidity at lockdown.

Sydney, since you’ve had so many challenges here lately, think about reading the BYCs guide of hatching intervention. Write down when each egg pips. If willing to intervene, I’d help once they’ve been externally pipped for 24 hr. If you go in through the aircell (not the pip) and are careful, you’re unlikely to worsen their outcome. Let me know if you need assistance and I’ll tag CluckNDoodle in hopes she’s around to help. She’s been fantastic at intervening when needed.
Lol....I have graph paper logging their wt, temp,air cell & activity since they went in. That pip will be noted. :gig

@R2elk @Mixed flock enthusiast - anyone?
4 were pipped when I woke this a.m. 5th was silent. They've been talking to me all day but no further progress. I had read the how to assist article over & over. Anyway, I fell asleep, woke with a weird feeling, checked, no progress, & I decided to start assist.
The 5th was indeed gone. The others were shrink
20210708_212158.jpg
wrapped and now yelling at me.
Once I peeled 1/2, they did the rest and rolled into my hand. All yolks were absorbed already. There was blood where it absorb, all but one have sealed up now. Do I do something or wait it out? I read 264 pages from 5 yrs ago last night but it was ducks, and everytime Lucy said it was happening Raven went offline to tell her what to do so -🤷‍♀️
Check out their legs and feet- SO much bigger than Singleton!

@R2elk @Mixed flock enthusiast - anyone?
4 were pipped when I woke this a.m. 5th was silent. They've been talking to me all day but no further progress. I had read the how to assist article over & over. Anyway, I fell asleep, woke with a weird feeling, checked, no progress, & I decided to start assist.
The 5th was indeed gone. The others were shrink View attachment 2752452wrapped and now yelling at me.
Once I peeled 1/2, they did the rest and rolled into my hand. All yolks were absorbed already. There was blood where it absorb, all but one have sealed up now. Do I do something or wait it out? I read 264 pages from 5 yrs ago last night but it was ducks, and everytime Lucy said it was happening Raven went offline to tell her what to do so -🤷‍♀️
Check out their legs and feet- SO much bigger than Singleton!
If yolks are absorbed and no obvious bleeding, leave them where they are in incubator. I’d also consider covering (without blocking air holes) or turning off lights to help them stay calm and recover. There’s not more you can do right now and it sounds like they’ve had a rough time of it and need to rest…:fl:fl:fl

Back
Top Bottom