wobbley neck

panda1

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 1, 2013
Today I noticed one of my hens looking like she had a wobbley neck, I could pick her up with her not fussing much. what could be happening to her?

Welcome to BYC!

I had this happen to a hen and rooster at the same time last winter. It could be wry neck/vitamin deficiency. First, bring her inside where it's warm and make sure she has access to fresh feed and water. If you can get your hands on some vitamin e with selenium I recommend it. Also some childrens poly vi sol without iron.

Have you ever wormed her? Check her over good for lice or mites. Sometimes the little buggers cause anemia and they get all sorts of weak.

You can also feed her some cooked egg in the meantime or anything she's willing to nibble on.

Be patient. I had to help my rooster and hen drink and eat for a few days. They had no control of their heads so I had to kind of balance their head and hold up food and water. I could see they wanted it, but had no coordination.

What does she eat normally?

Good luck! And keep us updated if possible.

Last edited:
I am so worried that I might loose her. Do you think I should bring her inside, maybe a dog crate, to watch her closely. She is an Orpington, I worry she may get too warm?

Yes, bring her in. You want her to be warm if she's not feeling well. She will not overheat.

Put her in the crate with food and water. If she can't eat and drink on her own you're going to have to help her for a while. Sift through her feathers to see if there's any tiny bugs. Either black or red.

Can you post a picture?

The ones I was telling you about in post #2 were also Opringtons. We have a wood stove that keeps a section of the house at around 80 degrees (that way the rest of the house gets some heat too) and they did really well. They did not overheat.

Today I noticed one of my hens looking like she had a wobbley neck, I could pick her up with her not fussing much. what could be happening to her?
Hi and welcome to BYC!

I am sorry to hear about your chicken, but I think it will be alright. Do you have any Avian veterinarians near you, If so, I'd call and ask about the situation. Is the neck possibly broken, or sprained? Are there any wounds from fighting if you have more chickens? Just keep watching, but your situation sounds like there's nothing serious. Keep me updated

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Wow! Excellent advice given by @BayBay Peepers !
clap.gif
Hope your bird is ok!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom