wobbly 16 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pooderpie77, Jan 19, 2014.

1. pooderpie77

pooderpie77 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2007
    What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
    A brahma cross of some sort. She has ruffled feathers tho like a frizzle. she is approxiamately 17-18 weeks old. Unsure of weight. She hasgrown since I brought her home almost doubled her size.in feeling over she seems bony.she eats well when presented with food and drinks water readily.

) What is the behavior, exactly
    I noticed maybe a week ago she seemed clumsy. Not making it over the wood jamb of her houseing. Just off. Couldnt put my finger on it.she hascontinued to eat and drink
    fine.Today She is off balance and wobbly. still eating even tried to pick afight with a new hen through the fence. But she is having trouble keeping herfeet underher.Her comb seems a little pale to me also. when i manipulate her feet there is no pain that i can detect.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Possibly a week.
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? The silkie she is housed with seems fine. Shes not an overly activebird so as farasican tell she is eating fine also.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.none

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown
    ) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Grower feedalthough in reading im probably not feeding enough and i should not be putting on the ground. I normallly have been putting a large bowl full on the ground thinking it would encourage her to pick at the ground and bugs there. Its approximately two cups worth give or take.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.seems normal not watery or gooey
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing yet except to seperate and brought her indoors.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Im open to any suggestions
    If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    She stays in a large tractor at night sleeping in a dogcrate on shavings and hay. During the day she has acess to big fenced area so the others can see and interact but not get to her. she hasnt been introduced to my other chickens yet.

2. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    The pale pink comb usually occurs when a bird is not laying. By your description Marek's Disease is the first that comes to mind. It is a neurological disease that can come and go, then finally takes the bird's life. Was she vaccinated for it as a day old? Since she is a mixed breed I assume not. Marek's Disease usually strikes when birds are less than a year. Have you noticed what color her eyes are? Marek's can make them a greenish or grey or pale yellow color. Did she molt recently? Most birds with Marek's - though not all - do not molt. It also makes them not lay eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by