Wobbly chick. Weak, Nurological, or something else?

WTCluck16

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
Hi everyone,

I picked up a buff orpington chick from the feed store yesterday. She was weak and getting trampled, so of course I pick that one to see if I can save her. :/ She is all set up in a brooder by herself at 90 degrees. After getting her home, I noticed that this chick is very unstable. She can stand for a bit, but eventually runs forward and falls forward. Like she is top heavy. Because she is so unstable, she is barely able to eat and hasn't drank on her own at all. She pecks at her food a few times, then falls forward past the food. She's weak and wobbly.

I have been syringing her water very carefully every 2-3 hours with a catheter tip, so it comes out slowly. Her water has save-a-chick electrolytes and probiotics in it. After considering a possible neurological issue, I gave her a few drops of Nutri-drench in case of a vitamin deficiency. It does not appear to be Spraddle Leg.

Does anyone know what is wrong with this little one?

Also, should I be syringe feeding her too? If so, what liquid should I prepare?

Does anybody know a correct dosage for Nutri-drench for a 1oz chick? It says 1ml per 3 lbs. But she's literally 1 oz. I'm awful at math! Lol!

Lastly, if she makes it, do I quarantine a baby chick for the same 6 weeks as I would an older bird? I have a 1 yo little sebright that is all by herself b/c she was getting horribly picked on by the others, and was hoping she could help me raise this little baby. My sebright is currently inside the house as well b/c I can't put her outside in single digit weather in a coop by herself. :(

Thanks in advance!

Alysha

Have you got her to stand yet? I have a chick that was I think two days early I had to help out of egg he was shrinked wrapped he did pip himself from egg just was stuck. He also can't stand. Falls forward and seems to not be able to stand on his right let I think. He is getting better then when he first was out. He also doesn't eat or drink. I try to put his beak up to both but just seems to sip water Would love to hear how your chick is and if u have any advice that y have gotten for your own

She does stand for a minute or so, and then runs forward in order to catch balance I believe. She will peck her food and drink from the fount only if I'm holding her so she is balanced.

Mine is doing about same. He loves to cuddle in my hands ;). I feel bad for him. I read putting band aids just below knees helps give them a brace. But I tried and it didn't work. Iam trying to think of something else that may help him but Iam also concerned about eating n drinking. I don't have a catheter but a syringe that I give meds to my boys. I may try that. Do u kno what spraddle leg is. I tries to see on this site and even started a new thread and no answer

Mine is doing about same. He loves to cuddle in my hands
wink.png
. I feel bad for him. I read putting band aids just below knees helps give them a brace. But I tried and it didn't work. Iam trying to think of something else that may help him but Iam also concerned about eating n drinking. I don't have a catheter but a syringe that I give meds to my boys. I may try that. Do u kno what spraddle leg is. I tries to see on this site and even started a new thread and no answer
Hopefully someone can help us out. I would definitely try to give your little one some poultry vitamins if you can. As to how much, I haven't figured that out yet. I just mixed a little drop of nutridrench in with my syringing water.

Spraddle leg is when the legs are out to each side of the chick, with the feet pointing toward the side, not the front. I do not believe my chick has it, as when she stands up, her feet point forward. She just can't keep her balance from front to back. She doesn't fall to any one side.

I read about spraddle leg here: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=spraddle+leg.

If I figure anything out, I will be sure to let you know. Good luck! :)

Yes Ty. I believe mine doesn't either. His leg actually turns in like pigeon toed. He is able to sit up in both legs then falls forward. Ends up laying in his back or side. I will try to get that vitamin u suggested. I also heard a boiled egg is good too. And a sugar type water. I need to try that.

Poor little baby. Hopefully with some extra care and vitamins, we can get them stronger and more stable. :/ Time will tell.

Could be merricks, had a chick a couple years back with that condition. I tried to address it nutritionally, he had some days better than other days, never cured. I believe most people cull chicks with this condition,no cure as far as I know. Sorry :(

Could be merricks, had a chick a couple years back with that condition. I tried to address it nutritionally, he had some days better than other days, never cured. I believe most people cull chicks with this condition,no cure as far as I know. Sorry
sad.png

Thanks for the info. I read some articles on Marek's disease and I'm not finding that it commonly affects new chicks.
https://www.addl.purdue.edu/newsletters/2005/spring/mareks.htm
This article states, " MD commonly affects pullets between 12-24 weeks of age, but can infect broilers as early as 6 weeks of age. The incubation period ranges from 3-4 weeks to several months."

I'm most definitely not saying it's not Marek's. I guess I'm just hoping it's not that. :(

Back
Top Bottom