Wobbly hen and head jerking (seizure-like?)

You need much more E than what they put into a multivitamin mix. Use the E capsules straight. The improvement is usually quick and dramatic, but keep it up for a week before you give up.

What de-wormer did you use (product and dose)?

I agree, I would give her the vitamins, they won't hurt. I would give extra E and continue with vitamins that contain B1 (Thiamine) as well.

Could be some symptoms of a neurological condition like Wry Neck, but in the video those movements also remind me of crop adjusting. I would check that crop for several days to make sure it's emptying overnight and that there's no foul odors on her breath and no lesions/canker inside of her beak.

Selamectin is the active ingredient in Revolution. It is a macrocyclic lactone similar to Ivermectin and all the other 'mectins.'
It's possible your hen had a "reaction" to the drug. Selemectin in herding dogs is toxic.

Selamectin is the active ingredient in Revolution. It is a macrocyclic lactone similar to Ivermectin and all the other 'mectins.'
It's possible your hen had a "reaction" to the drug. Selemectin in herding dogs is toxic.
Not for all herding dogs, having 8 of them, but they are tested for MDR1 sensitivity and negative to it. :)

For my hen, first symptoms were before deworming and it's her 3rd time having that dewormer. I'm not quite sure if the dewormer has anything to do with her current condition or if it was just a weird timing.

@casportpony No she's not vaccinated. I did thought about Marek, but wouldn't other hens be affected too? None of my flock are vaccinated and there is even 7 weeks old chicks with the flock.

Today being day 6 since first symptoms and she's almost not wobbly anymore. I also didn't yet witnessed head jerking today. It gives me some hope. Iron is my favorite hen and I would be so heartbroken to loose her. My husband was even crying when we found her motionless in the coop few days ago.

Back
Top Bottom