Wobbly Hen

wando

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 13, 2010
bbMy Rhode Island Red hen 3 years old and done laying and has been healthy all her life came out of the coop slowly and wobbly yesterday. Her neck woukld stretch normally out but is nit broken as she turns it fine. I picked her up and some yellowy water came out of her mouth. She also had a bit of diahrreah. She just wanted to sit still in the sun and sleep. I checked her over and couldnt find anyything. Today she is perkier, eating and drink fine but still wobbly and can't jump or fly up. Maybe nerve damage from a fall?Im just curious about the watery yellow stuff. Any ideas would be helpful. No diet changes or anything else changed.

feel her crop is it full? is she eating? sher could be crop bound and when you picked her up she may have thrown up what was in her crop. Feel it in the morning before she eats it should be flat/small if it is full and squishy then it might be impacted.

does she feel thin? like she has been wasting away?

Last edited:
She is eating and drinking normally and her crop felt small and empty and nothing more came out of it. She has had a wierd smell to her poo but is much better now. THE ONLY WIERD THING IS THAT SHE CAN,T JUMP UP ONTO ANYTHING> She isnt wobbly anymore and walking fine and upright. She is a pet so the owners probly wouldnt spend any money on a large vet bill unless it was serious. I will ask about it though. Any more guesses would be great.The not jumping has got me really baffled. She looks fine weightwise but her feathers look a little in colour. I am just lkearning about chickens.Thankyou.

This is from Wando. My red had a relapse worse this time. I cant feel anything in her crop but I hope I am checking the right thing. I cant find anything swollen or full in that area and nothing comes out.She is wasting away and not eating much and funny smell is back. I have been her a 1/4 pill SULFATRIM 2x/day. Im still baffled.Anywats time will tell. SHE IS JUST GETTING WEAKER. i GFEED HER YOGURT TOO.

One of my reds is showing the same symptoms you described earlier. I've also tried all the suggestions with out luck. However earlier this winter I had different bird take on simular symptoms plus she lost all her feathers. It was suggested that i give her 3 or 4 drops of liquid baby vitamins dripped on a piece of bread - it solved the problem quickly. This time not so much luck. The good news is she doesn't seem to be getting any worse. Thanks for any additional suggestions.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom