WOBBLY ROOSTER

Is he naturally without a tail?
Araucana don't have tails......yes, it's natural.

Our food is layer pellets with FASTRACK probiotic.
Has he always eaten layer feed?
Is the probiotic added to the feed by you?

Water is offered all day with nutri-drench and rooster booster alternately.
Do they also have plain water available at all times?

He did have a bad case of fowl pox last year but got through it and healed nicely.
Dry pox or wet pox?

As you see in my signature, I've delt with plenty of rare, weird things with chickens. Maybe you can try treating him for an ear infection. If he was a hen, I'd be questioning water belly by they he looked when he walked. Do you have a garden with tomatoes? I'm still slightly wondering if he got into something slightly poisonous.

Forgot to mention, he is more wabbly when he eats or scratches himself because he has to use his neck which I think throws his balance off. He was quite the ballerina before all of this started.

Also, he went through a HEAVY molt around the same time this started. 6 months ago. He is in full plumage now. We suspected the molt cause him to be deficient. But he has had amply opportunity to make up for that.

This putting him on his back thing. What would this tell me? I just want to get all info so I can subject him to as little trauma as possible. He gets so upset.
How you said that he isn't good at being held anyways, you might not be able to see anything. It's kinda checking what's going on inside. How's he doesn't do well being held, I wouldn't try it.

Araucana don't have tails......yes, it's natural.

Has he always eaten layer feed?
Is the probiotic added to the feed by you?

Do they also have plain water available at all times?

Dry pox or wet pox?

We add the probiotic. Since using it we have not lost a single chicken in two years.

They do have plain water all the time.

Neighbor throws tomatoes over the fence now and then and we do give them tomatoes from the garden. Not rotten. But they all eat the same thing. I originally suspected botulism. But he would have to be getting into the same thing for 6 months?

How do you treat an ear infection? Tylan? Shots or add to water? I have ear meds for the dogs but I am not certain I could get them down that tiny hole? LOL

We add the probiotic. Since using it we have not lost a single chicken in two years.

They do have plain water all the time.

Neighbor throws tomatoes over the fence now and then and we do give them tomatoes from the garden. Not rotten. But they all eat the same thing. I originally suspected botulism. But he would have to be getting into the same thing for 6 months?

How do you treat an ear infection? Tylan? Shots or add to water? I have ear meds for the dogs but I am not certain I could get them down that tiny hole? LOL

Oh, dry pox. But his eyes were completely covered in them. But, this started long after that.

Forgot to mention, he is more wabbly when he eats or scratches himself because he has to use his neck which I think throws his balance off. He was quite the ballerina before all of this started.

Also, he went through a HEAVY molt around the same time this started. 6 months ago. He is in full plumage now. We suspected the molt cause him to be deficient. But he has had amply opportunity to make up for that.

That's why I'm wanting you to run your hands over his bones. His spine is what I'm wondering about the most. Perhaps there's a small fracture, even though he doesn't act like he's dealing with that type of pain. Perhaps if it's something to do with spine, maybe he needs a chiropractor? Well, if that's the case, you might need to be that. See how he acts when you run your hand down his back and gently take two fingers and gently go down his neck bone if he allows.

As you see in my signature, I've delt with plenty of rare, weird things with chickens. Maybe you can try treating him for an ear infection. If he was a hen, I'd be questioning water belly by they he looked when he walked. Do you have a garden with tomatoes? I'm still slightly wondering if he got into something slightly poisonous.

If he did get something poisonous, wouldn't he die or get better?

How do you treat an ear infection? Tylan? Shots or add to water? I have ear meds for the dogs but I am not certain I could get them down that tiny hole?
I've never dealt with ear infection with chickens before, but it's out there. Perhaps you can start a new thread on how to treat chicken ear infection.

If he did get something poisonous, wouldn't he die or get better?
Yeah, that was one of my thoughts.. Something that's poisonous, but not fatal, is what I'm questioning. Also, if it's something around that he keeps getting into. But as you've said, the hens are around. He's probably not eating anything different from them. The part about him maybe being thin, could be because he's always off balance, that he's not eating enough. The molasses and water isn't a cure, it is to boost his strength.

Back
Top Bottom