Woke up to dead ducklings and I think the drake is the culprit

UPDATE : 4 of the eggs left have hatched into beautiful little babies and there is one hopefully gonna hatch in the next few hours because he/she has made.a decent sized hole in the shell but is most likely still absorbing the yolk and getting ready to zip 🤞. The drake is separated into a separate area that we like to call his prison cell and he will not have custody of his children until they are alot more grown. I will upload a link to a video of mama and some of the babies that have hatched😁

HERE IS THE LINK :

UPDATE : 4 of the eggs left have hatched into beautiful little babies and there is one hopefully gonna hatch in the next few hours because he/she has made.a decent sized hole in the shell but is most likely still absorbing the yolk and getting ready to zip 🤞. The drake is separated into a separate area that we like to call his prison cell and he will not have custody of his children until they are alot more grown. I will upload a link to a video of mama and some of the babies that have hatched😁

HERE IS THE LINK :
Glad everyone is hatching and happy! Those babies are so cute!! Your mama duck looks just like my runner named Red. What kind of duck is the drake?

Glad everyone is hatching and happy! Those babies are so cute!! Your mama duck looks just like my runner named Red. What kind of duck is the drake?
The Drake is a Pekin Duck. He's very protective over the mother duck which is why he thought the ducklings were competition. So they are Pekin/Fawn & White Runner Mix. I can't seem to find a mix like that online so its gonna be a surprise when they are older.

UPDATE : The last duckling to hatch needed assitance because it had made not much progress in 24 hours and looked stuck, when I started to assist I was right he/she didnt have much room and luckily I was careful enough and the yolk was absorbed. The newborn is adjusting to everything and hopefully will be running around like the rest tomorrow.

UPDATE : 4 of the eggs left have hatched into beautiful little babies and there is one hopefully gonna hatch in the next few hours because he/she has made.a decent sized hole in the shell but is most likely still absorbing the yolk and getting ready to zip 🤞. The drake is separated into a separate area
I'm glad you were able to figure this out in time to save some of the ducklings!
And of course now you'll know for next time, too.

Back
Top Bottom