Wolf urine

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
Has anyone ever tried wolf urine as a predator deterrent? I may have made a big mistake-
We have rabbits like crazy this year. About a month ago I put fox urine pellets around the garden to keep them out. I didn't do the entire property, just around the garden-and it seems effective, they all moved to the back yard and stayed out of the garden.
Then Bella disappeared in the middle of the day w/o a trace. @Mixed flock enthusiast suggested a wolf or fox got her.
The DNR tags wolves and reports 1000 in southern part of state, atleast 2 hrs away. I was skeptical abt foxes bc we haven't seen them here in over 20 yrs. But when I asked my husband he said not here, but he's seen them abt 10 miles from here on his way to work.
Research indicates urine can be an effective deterrent, but apparently an attractant to the same predator. So - I may have in advertantly invited a fox to my property. 😭
The next step would be wolf urine..but I wonder how far away it could attract. 2 hrs? There've been recent bear sightings in the state..I wonder if ppl thought bear urine would be the ticket and sent out a vacancy signal to black bears.😯
The rabbits walk past the traps, have no fear of us at all, will stand right next to us munching away. -> with rabbits come ticks, which is where this whole experiment started. The goonies aren't keeping up anymore. We had very few tick sightings last year, now we're back to finding atleast a couple after anytime spent in the yard.

Has anyone ever tried wolf urine as a predator deterrent? I may have made a big mistake-
We have rabbits like crazy this year. About a month ago I put fox urine pellets around the garden to keep them out. I didn't do the entire property, just around the garden-and it seems effective, they all moved to the back yard and stayed out of the garden.
Then Bella disappeared in the middle of the day w/o a trace. @Mixed flock enthusiast suggested a wolf or fox got her.
The DNR tags wolves and reports 1000 in southern part of state, atleast 2 hrs away. I was skeptical abt foxes bc we haven't seen them here in over 20 yrs. But when I asked my husband he said not here, but he's seen them abt 10 miles from here on his way to work.
Research indicates urine can be an effective deterrent, but apparently an attractant to the same predator. So - I may have in advertantly invited a fox to my property. 😭
The next step would be wolf urine..but I wonder how far away it could attract. 2 hrs? There've been recent bear sightings in the state..I wonder if ppl thought bear urine would be the ticket and sent out a vacancy signal to black bears.😯
The rabbits walk past the traps, have no fear of us at all, will stand right next to us munching away. -> with rabbits come ticks, which is where this whole experiment started. The goonies aren't keeping up anymore. We had very few tick sightings last year, now we're back to finding at least a couple after anytime spent in the yard.
About all I can add is that 2 hour travel is nothing to a wolf. They are definitely too close to you. Predator urine should be viewed as a deterrent to their prey and not as a deterrent to the predator.

Human urine is about the only one that would be a deterrent to predators.

About all I can add is that 2 hour travel is nothing to a wolf. They are definitely too close to you. Predator urine should be viewed as a deterrent to their prey and not as a deterrent to the predator.

Human urine is about the only one that would be a deterrent to predators.
Oh no, it was meant to deter the rabbits, and did keep them out of the garden. But then Bella went poof from said garden while out there w/Nug. Poof. No feathers,no racket, nada. I went inside for 15-20 min, & when I got back, Nug was still foraging. @Mixed flock enthusiast thought that sounded like a fox. At first I was doubtful but then remembered ...

I dont know about wolfs as i live in the uk . However there is an old farmers trick of male farmers urinating around the coop as it deters foxes and other animals that try to avoid people. But for some reason Its only mens urine that works ( apparently lol)

And even that may not work on habituated predators. When checking fox snares there was a spot where I would routinely empty my old man bladder. After a snow I saw that a fox was scent marking on the same spot.
I routinely walk my perimeter in the morning and areas I don't have fence I drain my morning coffee thinking I'm leaving my scent, I may have to rethink that? Fox snares?

The rabbits walk past the traps, have no fear of us at all, will stand right next to us munching away. -> with rabbits come ticks, which is where this whole experiment started. The goonies aren't keeping up anymore. We had very few tick sightings last year, now we're back to finding atleast a couple after anytime spent in the yard.
I suggested a fox or bobcat predator for a mysterious disappearance like that, but that’s based on predators in my area. I don’t know much about wolf predation of chickens to weigh in on whether that would be stealthy and silent. As for urine, my only experience with that is in bobcat deterrence. I suspect I had a queen with kittens taking my birds. We made the property as inhospitable to them as we could, by clearing brush and walking regularly with a dog before the birds were let out. I also asked my hubby to walk around and pee in the bobcats preferred areas. He was surprisingly uncomfortable and shy about the whole thing…:gigOur efforts paid off though as we stopped losing birds, so I think our bobcat vacated.

You did say bobcat, apologies. Per DNR, they also are down south -2 hrs. My brain confused the suspect predators and bottled urine. 🤦‍♀️ - not a typical conversation starter anywhere but here. Lol. Totally understand your hubby's hesitancy - I was thinking I'd look a bit peculiar, myself. But apparently mine wouldn't work.
I know when the guys are out working it happens. Perhaps I'll ask if they could redirect it, or put out a sign that says "Males Spray Here" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom