Wolves.

for zonoma
lol.png

it may very well have been, turned loose as a test trial to eat the coyote /wolf hybrid mutants

Quote:
Geoff- First look check out the story coming out of Zanesvile, Ohio. That guy had at least 8 mt. lions that had to come from someplace. Actually they are fairly easy to buy if you know how to do it. Why is another reason, but people do keep them. People keep venomous snakes too. Just figure if people are turning anacondas loose in the Everglades why not turn an unwanted pet mt. lion loose in NH? It isn't too hard to check using DNA to figure out where the animal came from either. As far as I know any mt. lion in the NE than has had it's DNA tested was shown to be from someplace else. Most on the exotic pet market come out of S. American stock.

As far as the coyote/wolf cross is concerned, check out this recent study by the NYS Museum. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3297665.../coyote-wolf-new-breed-predator/#.Tp93Wt7iGU8 The cross is more likely between either the grey or red wolf than the timber wolf. Also sex is as strong a drive as predation, especially when there are no females around--Inuits have been crossing their sled dogs with wolves for years. (There is also a theory that there never were wolves in the Northeast, the animals known as wolves were just the coyote/wolf cross and it is making a comeback.) I have seen the eastern coyote in the wild--up real close as I got between one and a kitten it was stalking. They look huge and very wolf-like, especially in their winter coat. However, without some sort of way to compare size and weight, it would be very difficult to estimate either of these, especially on a moving animal. The one I saw was huge as well but it may have been because it really didn't like me being where I was--I was in my car, I'm not stupid. I have a feeling that most "wolf" ID's are just big coyotes--they look enough alike that it is tough to distinguish them apart while they are running through the woods. It is like trying to ID hawks in silhouette. Since these animals have been hybridizing since the 1920's there is a very good chance that there are going to be varying sizes and near-wolf throwbacks. I've also seen a lot of 200 lb bucks shrink to 120 when they were actually hoisted up on a scales.

BTW, I live in the rural part of Chenango Co and have a pair of coyotes that have a den--confirmed--not more than a quarter mile from me. I have a couple of game cams and have recorded pictures of the pair as well as a lone male not more than 50 yds from my house so I'm pretty familiar with coyotes. I've hunted since I was 12--just turned 73--but have no desire to knock off any of these animals as long as they just appear on the game cam.

There is a pack of eight wolves in my area. Not a big deal. There aren't ever any livestock losses from them. In fact, they keep the coyote population in check.

Geoff I have owned 2 wolf hybrids. Actually they were the most intelligent and easy going animals and I absolutely loved them. So that's why in, and I think wolves are some of the most beautiful creatures ever.

Geoff I have owned 2 wolf hybrids. Actually they were the most intelligent and easy going animals and I absolutely loved them. So that's why in, and I think wolves are some of the most beautiful creatures ever.

One of the problems is that we call the loner, eater of small mammals and open area animal of the west a coyote and also call the pack running, taker of larger prey and woods animal of the east by the same name. In truth they are two different animals in vocalization, size and habit. What we have in the east is not what most traditionally recognize as a coyote, this tends to confuse people. Perhaps we should use a different name for it like coywolf. At least we should distinguish that we are talking about an Eastern coyote.

That's very interesting, woodmort. I had no idea there was that much difference.

So. I suppose that more than likely I've been hearing the "coywolves," and they probably aren't actually pure wolves. All the things you guys pointed out made me think about the times I've heard them: every time, the coyote noise comes right along with it.

Quote:
Now, now woodmort. Them's coydogs, that was what the folks up here were told many years ago, just after having been told for years there wasn't anything like a coyote in the state.

Someone really needs to corner a few state and federal wildlife folks and give them a shot of truth serum and hook them up to a lie detector. Then ask the questions. Talk about hearing tall tales.

Just an FYI. There ARE Coyotes in Pa and Md. that were imported here from the west by our WONDERFUL DNR to supposedly help control the DEER population!! Uhm it's not really working that well. I and a friend have tracked several small packs of these coyotes and seen them tracking small dogs in unfenced yards and also HUMANS on a hiking trail. We have also shot several on his farm. The way we found out was that one had an ear tag with an 800 number. We called it and the guy on the other end told us the wholle deal. Called DNR and at first they DENIED it!! After talking to a few well placed Representatives of our district, THEY found out the truth. Just lovely. As if we don't have enough to worry about without intrducing a NEW predator into the mix. Oh and BTW, it doesn't take them long to travel a pretty good distance. So they could be in Delaware also.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom