Woman denied service dog

Quote:
What is clear to me from this post is that you need to research service animals. They do FAR more than pick up stuff. A properly trained animal for a persons disability can save ones life. Service animals range from rats to dogs. Certain animals are just born with the ability to detect things, such as low blood sugar in a diabetic, irregular heartbeat in a heart patient, oncoming anxiety in a schitzophrenic. I spelled that wrong
hide.gif
All kinds of ailments, service animals are there for. They prevent death in many circumstances.

ETA: Service animals can be trained to dial 911 as well. It is not about doing things for disabled people, it is about making their daily living activities better.

Last edited:
some examples of things a Service Dog can do to help a person with a disability:

pick up dropped items
provide balance support for getting in/out of wheelchair
pull wheelchairs
retrieve items on command - phone, meds, anything you teach the dog the name to
hearing assistance dogs
seeing eye dogs (which is more than a single task as well)
medical alert dogs - seizure etc (this doesn't count as a task under the ADA as it isn't something that can be trained)
tracking lost children (used the autistic children)
tethering (for autistic children especially)

Yes, even with a dog, the woman in question would still need human help. The difference is that there are some things she would be able to do alone! If you have never been disabled, you have no idea of how helpless you can feel at times. Imagine of having to ask for help even to go to the bathroom. If the person is doing something/in another room, you have to wait for them to come to you. They have to help you up. Help you to the bathroom. Help you onto the toilet. Help you back into the chair.

Now imagine the same trip with a SD: decide "I need to go to the bathroom" Travel over to bathroom with dog. Use dog as support brace to assist getting out of chair. Use dog as brace getting off the toilet and back into chair.
Honestly, it's the little things that make a difference.

As for the woman in the article, I think that the problem is that nowhere on the website (set up BY the company) does it say that there will be absolutely no refunds if she doesn't get the dog. The contract says WEEKS (I'm too tired to pull up the article) of training, not "weeks of training for autistic clients. Those are the 2 most obvious things that could be a problem for the company

ETA: wanted to add, under federal law (the ADA) ONLY dogs can be service animals. Some states (CA) have different guidelines, but if you have a non-dog animal and travel to a different state you might find that the animal is denied access.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom