Woman embezzled $1.5 million. Put my husband out of job

Quote:
So sorry to hear of this. I know the people involved due to our antique business, but never heard of the charges. We are on the other side of the state, so didn't hear the news.

If she's hired Steve Farese though.......

idunno.gif

Quote:
So sorry to hear of this. I know the people involved due to our antique business, but never heard of the charges. We are on the other side of the state, so didn't hear the news.

If she's hired Steve Farese though.......

idunno.gif

Leslie Ballin is her lawyer.

She will probably get community service. The poor lady will have to pick up trash in the park or along the road.

Rufus

I hope the Feds can seize her assets, including her homes (because she won't be needing them, while she lives in prison for the next 200 years). Auction the property and business and use that money to repay what she stole. Then she can work in the prison to make "reparations", for the rest of her natural life.

How would the OP collect her costs when the offender sits in jail? Does the reward moneys coming from taxpayer's pockets? I can understand selling her home, her assets but what if it is not enough?

Payback is going to be hell for that offender.

I love Bill Cosby, his advices are sound and funny as well.

Just a warning. My grandfather had someone embezzle from his business the same way. He vented before the man was convicted, and my grandfather was sued for slander by the embezzler- for even more money! It got very messy, the embezzler never saw the right side of justice.

My grandfather was bitter about that the rest of his life, but he warned everyone he met that the crook has more rights than the victim, and keep your mouth shut until the law says they are crooked.

I am sorry that this happened.
There is no conscience in some people. Too bad there are not some sort of urine test for sociopaths like there are for drug users.

They did forclose on her mansion she built worth over 1.5 million, there is no equity in it though. Even if she did sell everything it wouldn't be enough to pay back, but it would help my in laws maybe save there house. Oh and this is the only place I have "vented" so I think I am safe on that. And thanks for letting me vent everyone, and for the support, it is appreciated!

So sorry to hear that!
hugs.gif
I hope & pray there's a way it can work out for your family.

There was a lady here in Indiana who would look for Mom & Pop, family owned businesses to get a bookkeeping job with -- for the sole purpose of embezzling!

The first two businesses fired her and didn't do anything about filing charges. They just wanted her gone and then they tried to pick up the pieces.

The third one was a construction company, family owned. And they filed charges. Of course there was no way to collect all that she had taken. This was in 2007 or 2008 as I recall.

Eventually authorities impounded all her stuff, and house too I think. I heard that the 2 kids (grade school age it seemed like from the toys) got to keep a few things that could be proven were gifts from others. And they all got to keep a few clothes, and personal items -- but that was it. Then there was an auction and it was fabulous stuff - Pottery Barn furniture from all the rooms, all the appliances from the house - top of the line of course, high end toys for her kids, big Longaberger collection, Pampered Chef kitchen stuff, her DH had tools and yard equipment that made the men drool, and her hobbies matched mine: quilting, scrapbooking & cake decorating. My oh my the gadgets and goodies she had! 8 different sewing machines and a mid-arm quilter too! All her fabric was high quality quilt shop stuff - and that held true with all the stuff in the auction really - no junky or bargain stuff anywhere. I mean, why not, it's not her money after all -- so buy the top of the line!

Never heard what happened eventually, but I did hear family talking and they said that if only the first two companies had gone after her, they could have prosecuted her harder, as it was, she might not get more than comm. service and have to pay back what she could before she died (it was also millions, so they knew she'd not live long enough to really pay it all back, even though she was only in her 40's or so.) because she was a "first time offender"
barnie.gif

Just not sure how these folks can do this. And like you said, at your DH's place, she had the nerve to be comforting others, even when she knew she was the cause!
smack.gif

Back
Top Bottom