Won’t Go in Coop at Night

This is our first time having chickens, so bear with us!

We moved our 6 week old chickens to the run/coop on Thursday. We have a large coop with a roost inside and then an fully enclosed run. Every night since we moved them out, they huddle in the corner of the run and won’t go in the coop. I’ve had to take my phone and use the flashlight to shine in the coop, and move all 8, one by one, into the coop. I hang out for a bit to make sure they don’t come out and then turn the light off and head inside.

The first 2 nights, 1 went to roost, but since, they only cuddle together in the corner of the coop.

Tonight, we placed a night light in the coop before dusk, hoping they’d go in. They were still all cuddled up on the corner of the run when I went out to check. I put them all in and turned off the light.

How do I get them to go in and to roost as well?
We have chickens as well, but when we alway have a new brood or chicken, we alway have locked them in the coop for several weeks before we even let them out. It has alway worked for us because then they know where to roost. Yes some of the little ones will all huddle in a corner, ours have done the same. Eventually they will go up to roost. Just as long it is safe for them being on the ground.

Could anything be falling on that metal roof? Mine got spooked when things hit a nearby metal roof for a while. It looks like the roosting bar is low enough. Maybe another one higher up would help? I know they'll prefer that later. Is there a window? Mostly I think they're still very young and haven't figured things out yet. Chickens do have lots of trouble adapting to changes I've found. Give them a little time.

We moved our 6 week old chickens to the run/coop on Thursday. We have a large coop with a roost inside and then an fully enclosed run. Every night since we moved them out, they huddle in the corner of the run and won’t go in the coop. I’ve had to take my phone and use the flashlight to shine in the coop, and move all 8, one by one, into the coop. I hang out for a bit to make sure they don’t come out and then turn the light off and head inside.

The first 2 nights, 1 went to roost, but since, they only cuddle together in the corner of the coop.

Tonight, we placed a night light in the coop before dusk, hoping they’d go in. They were still all cuddled up on the corner of the run when I went out to check. I put them all in and turned off the light.

I put cracked corn going up the ramp into the coop. Only took a couple of tries and everyone else eventually followed along. I have eight gorgeous Barred Rock hens, they rock!

If you think that chickens don't grip try putting a chick on your finger or a older one on your wrist. Make your own determination. That would be perching, not when they are sleeping, but I've read on here that chickens cannot bend their toes to grip thus they need a flat surface..

What size and shape is best for roosts is a highly debated topic on here. People pull out various studies to support their position, whatever that position is. You can find studies looking at pressure applied to various parts of the foot based on roost shape. You can find studies based on which the chickens prefer. Typically location in the coop and height are tremendously more important to the chickens that the shape of the roost in those studies. Some express opinions that others say not in my observations. I'm thinking specifically of some people insisting that chickens have to roost on a flat surface so their feathers cover the feet in the cold, even if they are in Florida where it never freezes, yet someone who lives in truly cold weather says that it starts to have an effect around -20 F (-30 C). In my observations -10 F hasn't been a problem. This is where I'd typically insert a photo of a rooster choosing to roost on a round tree branch maybe 1-1/2" diameter when a 4" diameter branch is available but I lost all my photos due to a computer crash.

In my opinion (and it is just an opinion) people worry about the shape of a roost a lot more than the chickens do.
And I'm sure you're correct because I know next to nothing. I didn't mean to imply chickens CAN'T grip. I just meant to convey that from what I've seen, heard, and read that they ROOST flat footed. But I'll happily retract my statement and defer to your experience. Thanks for the correction.

I'm new to all things chicken as well. One thing I learned, as mentioned by several others here, is that chickens don't roost by "gripping " their claws around a round, dowel rod type thing like you have. It's what you'd expect intuitively, but it just isn't the case. The chickens sleep flat footed on their roost. So a 2x4 hung flat is more appropriate to what their ancestors used to do when they would roost in the trees to avoid predators at night. Please, folks, correct me if I'm wrong. I've received so much help here at BYC, I thought I would try to "pay it forward". 🙏👌
I've been corrected by people with far more experience than me on this topic. Apparently roost shape and size is a much debated topic. So please don't take my statement about 2x4s, flat roosting surfaces being superior. Go with someone on here who knows much more than me. I'm afraid I was premature in trying to be helpful with this topic. Thanks to the experts for correcting me on this!

I just had this problem for the first time with my 6 week old girls today 5/12/22. Trying to herd these young ladies in the coop with the setup l have is like herding cats. I went back out after it had been dark out for about 45 minutes. All the girls were in the coop and hanging out. I guess l cant go to bed until all the chickens have come home to roost!:hmm

I just had this problem for the first time with my 6 week old girls today 5/12/22. Trying to herd these young ladies in the coop with the setup l have is like herding cats. I went back out after it had been dark out for about 45 minutes. All the girls were in the coop and hanging out. I guess l cant go to bed until all the chickens have come home to roost!:hmm

I learned quite quickly that trying to make the chickens roost on my schedule instead of their schedule was futile.

View attachment 3089333

Here's an inside/outside pic of the coop!
Nice.

I had the same issues - still have them to some extent. Last night was the first night I didn't have to put any in myself after almost 2 weeks. We'll see how that lasts!

There are many good suggestions on this thread - I think the most important is keeping them in the coop for a couple of days so they know where home is. Chickens have very poor eyesight in the dark, so a nightlight can help. My coop has translucent ceiling panels (It's what I could get at the time) and an overhead light from the barn that gives them some light.

I can't tell from the pic (my glasses are dirty and I can't find the cloth) - If you haven't done it already, one suggestion I have for your roost is to wrap it in 1/4" sisal rope so their claws have something "softer" to clamp onto. When I did that, the roost usage popped 50% the next day. Maybe coincidence, but others swear by it. Cost me about $30 to do both roosts.

Back
Top Bottom